Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Perfect Surrender Position

Steve Anderson

What does it look like?

I've been putting both elbows forward with both hands just above the shoulders, but this may have excessive shoulder movement.

I watched "how to shoot fast and accurately" for the 50th time, and benos seems to start with his right shoulder and elbow already back a little.

This seems to eliminate some movement at the buzzer, especially for a strong side gun as opposed to appendix placement.

I tried both tonight and did feel that having the shoulder back made it smoother.

What do you do?

SA

I grip the gun in the holster and have the angle of the grip, forearm, and elbow all in the same line.  I then rotate my wrist and forearm up over the shoulder level while keeping my elbow in the same position.  I then kick my shoulder back a little.   When the beep goes off I rotate back forward around the elbow and snatch the gun out of the holster.

I was taught this by Mike D in a class when I started and after about ten dry fire practices at the range I was doing sub second draws from the surrender position.

I am able to draw this way within 1-2 tenths of a hands at side

Hope this helps someone.

Brian

Go to HTSFAA, and look at Burners.  That's it, I think.

He describes it as shoulders down, hands come straight up together without breaking the shoulder. Hands come down in identical motions, like mirror images.

Man, I've experimented with so many theories and variables over the years, it would take forever to explain them. So, basically, what BBoyle said. :)

There is no "best way" because there are many different upper body combinations of short/long arms, short/long torsos.

Practice in front of a full length mirror, watching for excessive or unnecessary arm, head, and shoulder movement.

Prepare for every draw by starting with your hand gripping your pistol, then, observe (in the mirror) your hand/arm/shoulder/head as you raise your hand to shoulder level. Observe with an eye for keeping all movements as direct and as minimal as possible. By watching yourself slowly raise your hand (from your grip to the start position) each time, your body-mind will learn the best route for your hand/arm to execute the draw. In addition, as a regular part of your training, I feel it really helps to do the entire draw with a slow-motion-Tai-Chi-style movement.

be

I then rotate my wrist and forearm up over the shoulder level while keeping my elbow in the same position.  I then kick my shoulder back a little.   When the beep goes off I rotate back forward around the elbow and snatch the gun out of the holster.

I've been practicing this technique for about a week now and have noticed a .1-.2 second decrease in my draw time, in fact, yesterday I shot my first ever sub 2 second Bill Drill after hovering around 2.1-2.2 second BD's for months.

Thanks Brian & Brian.

Bill