Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this holster worth 300 dollars

mittim1965

I have tried most of the popular speed holsters - Here are my takes

CR Speed - Nice holster - Lots of adjustments - fairly secure - Depending on where you have it on your belt, it could stick into your leg. Good Choice and it comes with a spare parts kit

Safariland 012 - If you like your gun in the dirt - not a dig on the brand just stating the truth on that model

Limcat - great holster - very fast and secure - the lock can get bumped though

Ghost - All around good holster, secure, fast but can wear out with heavy use - the older model was made with metal not plastic - so it lasts longer but needed drilling of your trigger guard - they do offer a block replacement which makes replacing it very inexpensive - 70$

Speed Sec - Great holster and great price, fast and secure

Thats my take ......

Edited by KGentry

Actually, I would be willing to go $12.00 :) Seriously, his is so far from my experience with them that it sounds like it is broken.
That's the only thing I can think of also. Either that or the tension screw was set too light.

Actually, the holster was broken (which is why it went back to the gent I bought it from), but not in a way that affected its ability to hold the gun securely. The tension screw was tightened down as tight as I could get it, and I spent a couple of hours manipulating the various other adjustments, searching for a way to get the gun to sit in the holster such that it wouldn't get knocked out of the mechanism by small bumps and the like.

A "bikini" style holster with good adjustability, a positive lock plus a tension adjustment - that's exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, my experience with the Ribas was that, once the holster was unlocked, the gun could easily be dislodged, even with the tension screw tightened all the way in. On top of that, the various parts did not fit together with any kind of precision, so there was play in the hanger - and the small machine screws that hold the body of the holster to the pivot (the thing that looks sort of like a Hershey's Kiss) are too small to remain secure without being easily stripped (two of them were stripped on the holster I had).

I spoke at length with another GM who'd used the holsters extensively - he had 1st gen holsters, and had spent a lot of time even with those to make them more solid, etc. He was who clued me in to the decline in quality in later generations. He suggested several improvements that could be made, as well, if I had a machine shop at my disposal (I don't). Frankly, I don't want to buy an extremely expensive holster that I have to hack on to make things work.

Another shooter I know got a brand new one in that I also played with. I was similarly unimpressed. The only difference was that the screws weren't stripped on the new one, and it had slightly more tension on the adjustment screw. I could still easily dislodge the gun from the holster when the holster was unlocked.

Again, no way in heck I'd spend $300 on that holster - not until I see new ones rolling out that work like a holster should. You guys may have gotten good ones, but there are seemingly plenty of lemons out there, too - and I'm not going to recommend anyone shell out ass loads of cash on something that's obviously that hit or miss.... ;)

Like Aristotle, I have and have used a Safariland 012, CR, and Ghost. Now use a Bladetech DOH. Only one gun on the ground and it came out of the 012 that was tightened down well. Guy turned into me and knocked guns together. The DOH makes me feel more secure and my drawing speed is not going to scare anyone anyway.

Bill

I used Kydex up until this past sunday. Previous to that, I sold my Ghost as I didn't find it comfortable. I'm now using a Speed Sec. I really like how light it is, very secure when locked. I also like how wide the belt attachment is too. Good price.

Here's a video I did with my older Ribas. Insert gun, turn upside down, shake and bake...gun no fall out! The tension was turned up most of the way, but not all the way for this. The newer Ribas doesn't have quite as much tension, but it really doesn't need this much. If I wanted to it would be easy enough to take apart the newer Ribas and put a washer/shim on the rod that hold the spring and that would increase the tension significantly (probably equal to the older Ribas), but it simply hasn't been necessary.