Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you could have only one non-custom 1911...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warning: the following lists of companies are not intended to be all-inclusive. If I've left out your favorite, or pet peeve, it's not intentional and there's no need to try to make the list all-inclusive. It's purely to illustrate a point about giving business to the companies that do the most to support our sport(s).

I'd encourage you to support the companies/people that support our sport. You will rarely, if ever, see Kimber, Baer, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Ruger, etc, sponsor a match or a stage. Companies like STI, SVI, Caspian, S&W and gunsmiths/shops like Brazos, Dawson, Shooters Connection/Bedell, SSI, Millenium Custom, MGM, and many more are at the matches, pony up the goods so we have prize tables and sometimes pony up cash to help clubs afford to hold a match without raising the entry fees we play.

If you can't/don't want to spend the money on a full custom gun I'd say to take a look at what some of those companies/shops/smiths offer and also cross-reference that with the sponsors here on Brian's forums and see if you can make the two match up with what you're looking for.

I needed a .40 SS gun on short notice so I bought a Trojan from one of our sponsors and then bought all new fire control parts, safeties, magwell and mags from other sponsors and sent it off for a trigger job and reliablility package. I went pretty much full bore on it and probably have something like $1600 in it, but it's been crazy accurate and perfectly reliable (it did seem to work perfectly well before I sent it to the smith). The weekend I dropped the gun off with the smith I managed to win my class at Area-2 and got a free 2011 frame from STI, so I felt even better about the Trojan purchase!

+1 on supporting the sponsors, whomever they should be! Without them, where would our sport be?

My first post, and my $.02!

I am a Kimber owner, the only mods are mag well and CTC grips, as I do not shoot competition, CCW only.

I have fired many thousands of rounds and never even one hiccup on the part of the gun, a few on mine!

Reliability is paramount when you bet your life on it. I will never hesitate to carry this weapon, and it cost $1025.00 NIB.

Oh, model is CDP II, 4".

IMHO can't go wrong with a Kimber.

If you stay with us on BEnos for long, you'll be drinking the competition kool-aid eventually. :cheers: