Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp/bushing combo

A buddy of mine traded for a Colt 1911, 45 acp, with a comp/bushing combo. He asked me to help him take it apart and I could not get the comp/bushing off. It wouldn't rotate far enough to come out of the slide. Anyone familiar with the comp/bushing combo I'm talking about? I'm not looking at it, so please forgive the vague description. I was supposed to post this question a few weeks ago.

If you are familiar with it, please descibe in detail how to get it apart.

THANKS!!

Is the bushing tang just not clearing the slot? Or has the tang cleared the slot but it's just not coming out of the slide?

I'm not 100%, but I believe it wouldn't rotate enough for the tang to get to the slot. Its been a few weeks!?!

rangertrace,

When you disassemble the 1911, you turn the bushing clockwise (from the front of the gun) to release the recoil spring and then turn the bushing counterclockwise to allow the bushing and barrel to be removed from the gun.

Here is a video of the disassembly of a 1911. I hope this helps.

Another disassembly and assembly video

Hope this helps

dj

rangertrace,

When you disassemble the 1911, you turn the bushing clockwise (from the front of the gun) to release the recoil spring and then turn the bushing counterclockwise to allow the bushing and barrel to be removed from the gun.

Here is a video of the disassembly of a 1911. I hope this helps.

Another disassembly and assembly video

Hope this helps

dj

Dennis, I'm sorry I wasn't very clear. I know how to take apart a 1911/2011.

This pistol has a bushing/compensator combo. The bushing/comp does not rotate far enough (or was not relieved enough) to release the plug. And the guide rod won't move forward enough to get it past the link. It is extremely close, but not quite far enough forward to get it by the link/barrel lug.

I should not have posted without the pistol here, but I thought someone might know exactly what I was talking about.

Thanks

Are we talking a bushing, with an integral comp, or is the bushing separate from the comp?

Any road, the spring plug blocks the lug on the bushing from turning enough to remove it. It might have a short plug that can be pushed in to clear the lug. Most likely you remove the plug out the front like every other 1911.

Double check to make sure that the guide rod isn't a two-piece unit with a hex key fitting in the front. If it is, loosen it, take the slide off and then unscrew it the rest of the way while holding the spring....then take the spring, plug and lower half of the guiderod out the back.

If it's a standard one-piece rod, take the slide off the frame, compress the spring all the way and see if there's a hole in the rod. If so, put a small piece of paperclip in the hole and slowly release the spring until the paperclip catches on the plug then take it out the back of the slide. Once the plug is out of the way the comp/bushing should rotate enough to remove.