Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why 38 Super?

steveyacht

So is there any reason to shoot it now? I'm considering getting an upper for my Colt 1911 to "convert" it from .45 to 38 super. I shoot minor production now with a CZ75 9mm, but have wanted to try my hand with my 1911. I can shoot the .45, I'm just a LOT slower at this point and thought maybe 38 super would be a way to utilize the platform and pick some speed back up and still make major. I don't run a race gun - it's a regular old 1911 with some of the key mods (trigger, beavertail, magwell, etc.)

It's either that or practice with the .45 which is probably what I should do.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jeff

You could just get a 1911 in .40 or 9mm, and shoot single stack major or minor with a smaller caliber than .45. .38 Super brass is pretty costly, compared to 9 or 40, and in a single stack the capacity advantage just isn't there, as in the open vs. limited guns.

DD

I ran into some 9mm Largo cartridges, Starline, in my range pickups. They measure [fired] the same as 38 Super except for the rim, which is between 38 S and Supercomp. I haven't checked in a loading book yet to see the similarities but they look to be the same. These were hugely popular starting in the late 1800 and early 1900, mostly in Europe, as the Spanish and others made many different guns in this caliber and in large volume. If I remember correctly, even the Nazis used the Largo when they took over Spanish gun factories in WW II and issued these to their troops.

There are numerous differences between 9mm Largo and .38 Super. For one thing the Super is a straight-walled case, the 9mm Largo is a tapered case, considerably wider at base than mouth. Actually, the cartridge most closely analogous to 9mm Largo is 9x23 Winchester, which basically is 9mm Largo beefed up internally to handle much higher pressures. Actually you can fire 9mm Largo as a subload in a gun chambered for 9x23 Winchester.

Please excuse the newbie question, but I have three 38 Super guns that were purchased about 2 years ago with the intent of shooting in the IDPA and IPSC disciplines. Obviously I am aware that a mandatory 40 caliber rule has been imposed recently at least in some divisions of IPSC for making Major. Are my guns basically obsolete for competition? Should I simply be shooting 9mm or else something bigger than 40 cal? (By the way, does the energy produced by 357 Sig and 9X23 not at least count for being considered for major?) Thanks in advance.

Jon in Georgia

Please excuse the newbie question, but I have three 38 Super guns that were purchased about 2 years ago with the intent of shooting in the IDPA and IPSC disciplines. Obviously I am aware that a mandatory 40 caliber rule has been imposed recently at least in some divisions of IPSC for making Major. Are my guns basically obsolete for competition? Should I simply be shooting 9mm or else something bigger than 40 cal? (By the way, does the energy produced by 357 Sig and 9X23 not at least count for being considered for major?) Thanks in advance.

Jon in Georgia

I can't really answer on the IDPA rules as I never seem to be able to keep them straight, but for USPSA only Open division allows Major for anything smaller than .40.

While .357 Sig and 9x23 are physically capable of making major power factor (weight x velocity divided by 1,000....not energy) it's not allowed by the rules so it doesn't really matter. R,

Are my guns basically obsolete for competition?

Depending on the configuration of the guns, and the modifications that have been applied to them, it's quite possible they may be usable in IDPA's Enhanced Service Pistol division. Actually, many old iron sighted, single stack .38 Super USPSA compguns have been converted into IDPA guns simply by whacking off the compensator. (Okay, in reality it's a bit more complicated than that - but not necessarily much.)

Should I simply be shooting 9mm or else something bigger than 40 cal?

I don't see why. In ESP division you'll probably want to handload down to a 9mm level of power. Having said that, there's no reason a .38 Super couldn't be very competitive in ESP.

(By the way, does the energy produced by 357 Sig and 9X23 not at least count for being considered for major?)

Nope.

Thanks in advance.

Yer welcome. :)