Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

airlines and firearms

zookeeper

This may be out of topic....

but do you routinely prefer hard case box(example:Pelican of Hardigg Storm case) for your revo toys whenever you travel? Or does the plastic box the comes with the gun works for you?

Other than security advantage, it sure adds some cool factor! :cheers:

FWIW, everytime I see a Pelican or Storm case on the luggage belt I think "guns or cameras". As crowded as some airports are, I wouldn't want to advertise that I'm carrying something very expensive. Of course with rifles, they are the best for rough handling. I've been served very well with my small hard case (properly locked) inside of my very non-descript roller suitcase. Yes, it looks like everyone else's, and that's the whole idea.

To expand on another tip posted earlier, I carry a printed out copy of both the TSA and the respective airlines policies for the transport of firearms. I actually had to use them once to prove I was in compliance. Follow the guidelines to the letter, and you won't have a problem.

We make a hard sided case that can be put into your luggage and locked to the internal frame. The only one on the market. It is also used by several Top ranked and Professional shooters as well as several forum members.

We are dealer members that support the shooting sports our link is Here

David

Edited by ffl

Like David said,

The Secure Firearm cases are built like Fort Knox. Mine has well over 100,000 miles on it, Road and Air. I lock my gun/guns in the Secure Firearms case, and then cable it inside my Samsonite hard sided suitcase. Both bags are not TSA accessible and when I check in I advise the counter people that if they need to get in, that I need to stay with the case. In Australia it is actually a federal offense to leave an unlocked bag, with firearms inside. This is not the reason that I comply, the main reason is that there a lot of TSA agents out there that don't have an ounce of common sense when it comes to repacking a bag, and I have actually seen them drop guns ( 8Shooters ) on the way to the IRC. The internal cable is additional security, that I don't always use, but if someone wants to get to my guns, I want to inconvenience them as much as possible.

Check them out.....Built by shooters for shooters.

M :cheers:

I've had good and bad experiences at airline check in and retrival of "Special Luggage".

Good suggestions here prior to help avoid problems.

Most cop/security people operate under the "If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then...."

1. Don't wear your turban and dish and proclaim how much you hate the "infidels" when you check in.

2. Don't walk in with an attitude either.

Guy/gal behind the counter might be concerned and may never have run into this situation before.

Remember....you're not dealing with BENOS members...you're dealing with the average American and they get their education on firearms (like everything else) from the idiot box...so they KNOW that the handgun in your case can shoot super high explosive uranium rounds and might spontaneously explode on its own and kill everyone inside the airport. :rolleyes:

Most Americans do NOT have any experience with firearms.

(Doc I know asked me why I carried a gun. I told him "I'm a cop I carry a gun. You're a doctor, you carry a stethescope"

He said yes but you're off duty and I don't carry a stethascope unless I need it.

I said that When my need for a firearm arises I need it NOW not later on. Can't call time out during the confrontation.

When the exam was done he asked me to "Please don't shoot anyone on your way out."

I looked at him and said "I'll try to restrain myself but hey...you never know.")

3. Insure your weapons through the airline for their replacement cost if you had to replace them TODAY not what you paid for them 5 years ago.

I went to a sniper school and at the counter I asked for $5,000 insurance on my GA rifle.

They had to get a supervisor to approve the additional amount but I told him to replace the rifle and scope and case I was looking at around $4500-$5000

They are MUCH less likely to lose your firearms if the airline company will have to shell out 5 grand to you when they're lost.

4. When arriving at your destination send one of your group to the "Special Luggage claim area" right away.

If you're alone then go there right away yourself.

I ASSUMED that such a place would have tight security there and I would have to show some form of I.D. to claim my weapons.

Nope.

Not only no security/TSA people but NOONE was there.

I walked up and inbetween the golf clubs and surfboards there was my pelican case. I picked it up and carried it off without talking to or even seeing anyone there to monitor the area.

So I highly recommend going there right away to make sure some idiot does not decide to take your pelican case along with his golf clubs.

Good luck and have fun.

JK