Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Digital Photo editor program choices...

Hey all,

My wife is looking for a digital photo editing program and the choices are a little bit confusing since there are so many available. She's going to be doing recreational photos and pictures that she will later paint from, so I'm not sure she needs a full-blown professional program, but it's possible. Any suggestions? R,

Try IrfanView as a free download from:

www.download.com

I've been using it for over a year and it's a great free program for very basic photo editing. Plus, since it's coming from www.download.com you can see how many people have tried the program (hundreds of thousands) and if people are happy with it.

Photoshop is what I used when I did a lot of web/ photo work for a living. Its devolved into Photoshop Elements, which is more than powerful enough for most all tasks.

I still use photoshop cs3 for side work, but I bet their current elements is more powerful.

You might try a program called the gimp (gnu image manipulation program).

It is something like a freeware version of photoshop.

It is fairly powerful and has a lot of capabilities.

It doesn't replace photoshop but works well for basic stuff.

Peter Adams

FY-39604

• 1 month later...

photoshop or photoshop elements are probably the best, but photoshop may have a steep learning curve if you haven't ever used it. There are thousands of tutorials online however, if you do get into photoshop

The one that I've got personal experience with is Paint Shop Pro. It's very easy to load up and start using immediately. No huge learning curve like with PhotoShop. I'm currently running version 7. I upgraded to a later version XI, I think, a few years ago and was not happy with it (memory hog, slow running) so reverted to the older version. I'm really wanting to try the new Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 but have yet to "pull the trigger".

You can get 7, 8 or 9 on Ebay for pretty cheap. Under $ 20.