Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Second Top End?

jgobbels

I'm looking to go to a .40 for limited as I have an SV in .45 that I love, but would like the extra round advantage.

I'm looking if there are any draw backs to haveing a .40 top end built on the frame I already have?

Thanks in advance.

John~

No draw backs. Are you planning on swapping the topends on a regular basis. If your not going to and you have the changeable breach face, I would get a new barrel, breach face, firing pin & stop, ejector, extractor and mags. Then have a gunsmith fit them all and go racing. I dont think I'm forgeting something.

If your going to swap back and forth I'd just save up an extra $400.00 and have a whole new gun built.

Jon,

$400 for a complete SVI lower, where can I find one?

My trigger setup is $160, mag catch $30, and a SVI ramped frame kit for a extended dust cover is $511 ($411 standard) throw in a safety for $60 and you have about $761 plus fitting costs in the lower.

I bought the SVI interchangeable system so that I can swap stuff out instead of rebuilding the upper, so I would lean in that direction. I did for a short while shoot a limited upper on my open lower till I saved enough cash to build a whole gun.

My current SVI has a Custom Wilson Upper in .45 ACp and is a bushing barrel.

I don't plan on switching back to .45, but want to be able if needed. I wanted to do a .40 upper with bull Barrel and everything complete as I don't have an interchangable Breechface. I plan on getting all new magazines.

The SVI .40's that I have been looking at are $2500! I was hoping I could get a new top end, dies and mags for 1/2 of that... I'm not one to pinch pennies, but would like to not buy a complete gun if the top end would do?

Comments?

TY,

John~

Jon,

$400 for a complete SVI lower, where can I find one?

My trigger setup is $160, mag catch $30, and a SVI ramped frame kit for a extended dust cover is $511 ($411 standard) throw in a safety for $60 and you have about $761 plus fitting costs in the lower.

You mean you need all that stuff too? ;)

New I was forgetting something.

J, I sent you a PM on something you might want to look at.

J, I am having an SV built in 45 without the barrel bushing. The SV parts that Jon described are around $450 plus fitting (if necessary). That is the price that SV gave me about a week ago. I was thinking the same thing as you are. Your only problem is with the Wilson slide. You would have to buy the SV slide with interchangeable breach face or another slide with a 40 cal breach face. If you are planning on ever adding another caliber to your SV their slide might be worth the investment.

I really don't like changing slides on my semi autos do to slight differences which may create uneven wear on a tight frame to slide fit. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I should say that I would not hesitate doing it to a Glock. But with a Glock, for the money, you might just as well buy the entire gun. ;) JMTCW

Jim