Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2009 Steel Challenge Matches

Just an FYI... we will be holding 4 Steel Challenge Matches at the Milan Rifle Club in 2009.

April 5th, June 14th, August 9th and October 11th. We'll start at 8:00am all days.

We have purchased a half set of steel (damn that stuff is expensive) so we will run the matches as follows:

Showdown

Speed Option

Pendulum

Accelorator

Break to Reset...

Smoke and Hope

Five to Go

Outer Limits

Roundabout

The point of next years matches is to finish paying of the steel we bought and to purchase the rest of the set (and obviously to have a great time shooting)... if we get about 50 shooters per match, we should be able to buy the rest of the set before the August match and set up all 8 stages at once...

Cost is $25 per run.

The match will be a cash payout match. 50% of the entry fees will go into a prize pool to be paid out per subcatagory. The other 50% will go towards match expenses and buying more steel.

We will run the following divisions and subcatagories:

Rimfire: Optic and Iron Sight

Centerfire Semi-Auto: USPSA Open, USPSA Limited and USPSA Production

Centerfire Revolver: Open Revolver, Limited Revolver and SASS Revolver

SASS Revolver competitors (and SASS Revolver competitors only) may wear 2 pistols to the line. If the second pistol is required, the first must be holstered before the second is drawn.

Frank

sounds good frank, dont like the idea break to reset but thats me. either half match or whole. dont want to be there all day. last steel match we got done shooting bout 3pm and that didnt include tear down.

keep up the good work.

doug your the man, thats mighty nice of you.

cant wait to see ya all at the matches. -chris

These stages are small. If everyone there helped out, there's no reason we couldn't reset the stages in less than 15 minutes. Each stage only has 5 targets, and I will have the positions already painted on the ground.

If Doug and I can work something out, then it won't be a problem setting up all 8 stages, but I have to plan on what I know I have on hand at the moment (i.e. his schedule can and does change).

The way I have it figured is that if we can get 50 people to come out to the first two matches, we will make enough to finish paying for what we have, and order the rest of the set. Get 50 people to show up to the 2nd two matches, and the whole set is paid off.

Then the prices go down for 2010, since all we need to do is fund replacement parts for the set, instead of buying the whole thing.

Frank

• 1 month later...

Change of plans...

Doug has volunteered his set of Steel, so we will be able to set up all 8 stages at one time.

There is no pre-registration for our steel matches... just show up and shoot.

We will be running the divisions as follows:

All divisions in or local matches will be their own separate events. There will be no overall awards.

OPEN DIVISION

Open shall be governed by USPSA rules for firearm description and rule interpretation. All Open entrants compete in Open Class for overall awards. Open can utilize compensators and optics as well as any other enhancements governed by the USPSA rules. This division includes revolvers with optics.

LIMITED DIVISION

Limited shall be governed by USPSA rules for firearm description and rule interpretation. Failure to meet Limited rules and criteria shall result in movement to Open Division.

PRODUCTION/SINGLE STACK DIVISION

Production/Single Stack shall be governed by USPSA rules for firearm description and rule interpretation. Failure to meet Production or Single Stack rules and criteria shall result movement to Open Division.

REVOLVER DIVISION

Revolver shall be governed by USPSA rules for firearm description and rule interpretation, with the exception that 7 and 8 shot revolvers are allowed. Failure to meet Revolver rules and criteria shall result in movement to Open Division.

SASS (Cowboy) DIVISION

SASS Division shall be governed by SASS rules for firearm description and rule interpretation. SASS (and SASS entrants only) will be allowed to wear 2 pistols during a course of fire. In the event that the second pistol is needed during a string of fire, the first pistol will be holstered before the second pistol is drawn.

RIMFIRE DIVISION

There will be two categories of rimfire. One will be utilizing optics and one will be without optics. All entrants shall compete from the "ISI rested ready position" which will be defined as gun in hand, finger off of the trigger and pointed at a cone or flag 12 feet downrange. Rimfire revolvers will compete in this division.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a bump to remind everyone that we are running 4 steel challenge matches at the Milan Rifle Club this year.

April 5th, June 14th, August 9th and October 11th. We'll start at 8:00am all days.

I'll take new starts all the way up until 3pm, so you'll have plenty of time to shoot as many guns as you wish.

This year's matches are to build up funds to acquire the other half of the steel. However, Doug Carden has graciously allowed us to use his set of steel, so we will be able to set up all eight stages at one time, instead of 4 and 4.

These matches will be UP TO A 50% payout (if there are 11+ shooters in a division). Payouts will be based on a percentage of the entry fees in each division (each division has their own pot... not combined). You may only win once per division or division stage:

Division Winner: 30% of division prize pool

Division Second Place (if 6-10 shooters): 15% of division prize pool

Division Third Place (if 11+ shooters): 5% of division prize pool

Division Stage Winner: 30% of division prize pool divided by number of stages

Division Stage Second Place (if 6-10 shooters): 15% of division prize pool divided by number of stages

Division Stage Third Place (if 11+ shooters): 5% of division prize pool divided by number of stages

Example: there are 16 persons shooting in open division...

Division Winner: $60

Division Second: $30

Division Third: $10

Division Stage Win: $7.50

Division Stage Second: $3.75

Division Stage Third: $1.25

Thus... in this example, if you won your division, came in 1st in 4 stages, 2nd in 2 stages and 3rd in 1 stage (and you totally FUBAR'd one stage), you payout for the match would be: $98.75

Checks will be mailed to the winners as soon as the results are finalized (within 3 days of the match).

Frank

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With the recent snow melt off, and rains... the range is still a sloppy mess, and I don't expect it to improve. We got rain yesterday morning, we are supposed to get more tonight and tomorrow, and also Saturday night into Sunday (all day).

Therefore, I am going to cancel the Steel Challenge match for this weekend.

Here is, however, what I am going to do.

April 26th, 2009 - Steel Challenge AND Special Classifier.

All 8 steel challenge stages will be set up, as well as all 6 USPSA Classifier stages that we were going to run in March.

Shoot the Classifier for $20, shoot the Steel Challenge for $25, or shoot them both for $45.

If you shoot them both, this will make for a minimum round count of 356 rounds. The classifiers ate 106, and the steel challenge is 250.

The steel Challenge stages will be set up on the walled ranges, and bays 1, 2 and 3. The classifiers will be set up in bays 4-10. For this large of a match, we will have to set up on Saturday the 25th, so I could use a bunch of help. It will probably take us a few hours. If we get the set-up done early enough (we'll start at 8), we can run the people who help set up in the afternoon on Saturday (for $10... I have to pay mission count fees). This will be limited to the first 6 people who volunteer to help set-up. These shooters will still be eligible for the steel challenge cash payouts.

I'll also need some help tearing down after the match. If a few people could stick around after the match, it would be greatly appreciated.

In the walled ranges and bay 3, we will be setting up 2 steel challenge stages in each. This will require a little bit of coordination. Two people will be on the line at the same time. Shooter 1 shoots a string, then shooter 2 shoots a string on the other stage... alternating until all 5 strings are done. Then we can repaint both stages at the same time.

Parking will be in front of the 600 yard line berms.

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder... our next Steel Challenge match is June 12th at the Milan Rifle Club. We'll start shooting at 8am. No new starts after 1pm.

$25 per gun/division. Shoot as many times as you want, in as many divisions as you want.

Each division has it's own stage and division payouts. You can only win once per division, but you can win in multiple divisions. There are no overall match payouts.

1-2 competitors = No Payout

2-5 competitors = 1st place pays

6-10 competitors = 1st and 2nd place pays

11+ competitors = 1st, 2nd and 3rd place pays.

Checks will be mailed as soon as the results are done (usually same day).

Division for the match are:

Rimfire Pistol Open

Rimfire Pistol Iron

Rimfire Rifle Open

Rimfire Rifle Iron

Open

Limited

Open Revolver

Limited Revolver

SA Revolver

SA revolver competitors may wear two guns to the line. In the event the second gun is needed, the first must be holstered before the second is drawn.

Pre-registration is available on our website: www.milanpracticashooting.com

DVC

Frank

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder bump ... our next Steel Challenge match is August 9th at the Milan Rifle Club. We'll start shooting at 8am. No new starts after 1pm.

We've reduced the price, but done away with the pay-outs...

$25 20 per gun/division. $10 reshoots. Shoot as many times as you want, in as many divisions as you want.

8 stages, 195 round minimum.

Divisions for the match are:

Rimfire

Rimfire Pistol Open

Rimfire Pistol Iron

Rimfire Rifle Open

Rimfire Rifle Iron

Centerfire

Open

Limited

Open Revolver

Limited Revolver

SA Revolver

SA revolver competitors may wear two guns to the line. In the event the second gun is needed, the first must be holstered before the second is drawn.

Pre-registration is available on our website: www.milanpracticashooting.com

DVC

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

Our next steel challenge match at the Milan Rifle Club is this weekend... August 9th.

The price has been lowered. It is now $20, and $10 reshoots. Juniors are half price.

We have done away with the cash payouts.

We'll start at 8:00am. I'll take sign-ups until noonish.

Pre-registration is available on our website at http://milanpracticalshooting.com

Frank

Edited by Franklin D Wolverton