Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA match tomorrow

steel1212

If my 625 is behind my hip is there a rule on where the moon holders have to be in front of it? Is it ok as long as they are are as close as possible? I know its only 2 in front of the gun so I'll run 2 in front and one on the weak side.

What about RWR/Tac reloads.....how the hell do you do that?

Any other tips/tricks/cautions for revo?

It looks like you are doing weak hand reloads??

Put your moon clips just enough in front of the holster that you don't smack them with the muzzle when you draw. :rolleyes:

RWR/ Tac loads. You'll have to do a strong hand reload. Open the cylinder and hold it open with your weak hand middle fingers through the cylinder window. Eject the partial moon into your right hand and dump it in your vest pocket. Then reload with your strong hand, regrip the revolver and go to work. You probably won't need this skill very often but it can come in handy sometimes. :cheers:

Other tips: learn to count to six. :roflol:

IF I didn't have to go somewhere tomorrow I'd come show you just what NOT to do !!!! :goof:

Hop

LOL, 6 hour round trip or more for a 6 stage match....it sure is fun though :cheers:

Yeah I'm thinking the chances of a revo having to do a RWR or tac load is pretty slim.

I know it's too late to help at todays match, but here's what I do for RWR. Instead of smacking the moon out, open the cylinder, hook you fingers around the ejector rod and cup your hand around the cylinder. As you pull the rod with your finger tip the moon should slide right into your palm. UASC is a great time to practice this move.

Personally I like baggy pant pockets for mag or moon dumping. My hand is already inside the cover garment so I can just grab the fresh load on the way up from the left pocket. I wear two infront of the holster and one on the left behind center.

That was fun!!! I held my own on 5 of the 6 stages. My times where better or dang close to the auto guys on those stages and I had some masters and experts in my squad :D My one stage MAJOR booboo was when I didn't do a good walk through and realize there was an extra target in the last array...WHOOPS. Went something like this. Pick up bag with weak hand and shoot 3 targets from behind wall, drop bag and reload. Move to next wall and shoot 2 more targets then run to the next longer wall. I'm thinking I have 3 targets to shoot so I pull out the newly tried RWR. Now I'm thinking I'm pretty damn slick until I hear a bunch of WTH, HAHA, UHOHs in the background. I shoot 2,2,2, DOH where did that one come from lol. Oh well. I'm curious to see where I turn out. Of course I was the only wheel gunner but I've talked a few of them into it for next time :cheers:

For my first IDPA match it was a fun match. I had to pick up a couple of mags along the way...you still have to convince me the sense of not being able to drop an empty mag with a round in the chamber. waiting to reload until behind cover also tried my patience a bit. All in all though the stages were fun, I managed to make it through without a procedural :) (although I had to argue one with the SO...with Barry and Jeremy as co-counsel) and I will be shooting this match whenever I'm in the US on the 3rd weekend of the month. If I can get some jacketed rounds reloaded I'll join you shooting ESR next time Corey (probably March).

For my first IDPA match it was a fun match. I had to pick up a couple of mags along the way...you still have to convince me the sense of not being able to drop an empty mag with a round in the chamber. waiting to reload until behind cover also tried my patience a bit. All in all though the stages were fun, I managed to make it through without a procedural :) (although I had to argue one with the SO...with Barry and Jeremy as co-counsel) and I will be shooting this match whenever I'm in the US on the 3rd weekend of the month. If I can get some jacketed rounds reloaded I'll join you shooting ESR next time Corey (probably March).

Just drop me a line and I'll bring some ammo for ya. You sure that Barry and Jeremy weren't co-counsel on the SO's side :roflol:

You sure that Barry and Jeremy weren't co-counsel on the SO's side :roflol:

Yeah I'm sure, they both had my back...besides, Barry was too busy giving you procedurals from 3 stages away :lol:

Edited by DKOL

results are in....its going to be hard for my ego to shoot revo :roflol: I had one stage that ended up costing me about an extra 7-10 seconds with the RO telling me I had one more target then having to do an extra reload on. In the end I don't think I did to bad. My times for most of the stages where right there with the autos. The bigger the stages though the more reloads and longer the times.

My time was a 107 the best time of the day was a 83.

still not too bad with a wheel gat. It's always more fun though if you have at least a few people shooting revolver.

I felt okay about my run considering the fact that I had to stop and pick up a mag on two stages and had a 3 or 4 second pause on the Santa stage before I noticed that I'd pulled one on the left hand target and re-engaged it. IDPA is a new game for me and there will be a learning curve. I hate to say this but I'll probably end up picking up a vest <_< at some point for a bit more consistency on concealed draws and reloads...

still not too bad with a wheel gat. It's always more fun though if you have at least a few people shooting revolver.

I felt okay about my run considering the fact that I had to stop and pick up a mag on two stages and had a 3 or 4 second pause on the Santa stage before I noticed that I'd pulled one on the left hand target and re-engaged it. IDPA is a new game for me and there will be a learning curve. I hate to say this but I'll probably end up picking up a vest <_< at some point for a bit more consistency on concealed draws and reloads...

GAMER!!!! :roflol:

FYI I used my fleece not my vest.

GAMER!!!! :roflol:

FYI I used my fleece not my vest.

Yeah, I was fleecing it up too....and you got the gamer part right...it's just a different game (with some slightly twisted rules :mellow: )... and I proudly accept that title from a fellow GAMER.. :cheers:

Gamer...Yes Sir I is.

Speaking of Gamers, and I really hope he reads this post. You should have seen Lin running a couple of stages! Stage 3 where it said hold bag in weak hand, well most of us shot SHO, he just picked up the bag and held it in his weak hand and shot freestyle. He then tried to get both steel on stage 5 before the drop outs but wasn't fast enough and caught a procedural for that one.

Gamer...Yes Sir I is.

Speaking of Gamers, and I really hope he reads this post. You should have seen Lin running a couple of stages! Stage 3 where it said hold bag in weak hand, well most of us shot SHO, he just picked up the bag and held it in his weak hand and shot freestyle. He then tried to get both steel on stage 5 before the drop outs but wasn't fast enough and caught a procedural for that one.

<_< Stealth Gamer = a gamer who doesn't share his game plan with the rest of the squad...