Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Re: 9mm Load

Rye

Hi guys. Back again with a few questions. I am going to start reloading 9 major. My question is what would be a good brass and bullet to use and powder. I heard starline is good and montana gold bullets are an awesome choice. For loading data would it be the same as 38 super or would it be less grain. Can I also get the 9mm supercomp brass from starliine or is it just intended for the 9x23? Thanks.

I don't shoot major in my 9mm match but I do in my S_I Open. I have been using 124 Montana Gold CMJ's, once fired brass, WSR Primers and 7.8gr of Trublue. Makes about 170pf. The primers show a little flattening but no stress on the cases. I tried the Zero 124's but the Montana Golds seem to perform better (may be my imagination). Since the WSR primers are impossible to find I bought some Wolf primers to try.

I use the same bullets and primers in the 9's for my Match but I reduce the Trublue to 5.8gr. Made 130pf when checked at the last IDPA match that I was at.

HTH

Art

I use the same load as above with the exception of bullets. I use 125 gr Zero JHPs with 7.8 True Blue and WSRP and once fired brass. If I was going to buy new brass it would be Starline but you can find 9mm once fired brass from people on this forum.

Well, I tried some IMR SR7625, it costs almost as much as Vhit...seemed to work and feel great through my 9x21 small frame Gold Team. I haven't seen how much of a 9x19 case it would fill though. Seems it might be a tight fit!

6.8gr at 1.15 + 124 Zero FMJ

they chronoed

Load should be almost the same for 9x19

It was a hell of alot nicer than the hs-6 I was using!

Thanks guys. how about for a vhit powder?
Edited by pivoproseem

I heard good stuff about IMR as well. So your running about 172-174 pf? Same pf of ammo I get from atlanta arms and ammo. I think I should try that, starting about 6.4 grains then try to go up. Thanks.

I just checked the web pages of Remington, Winchester, Hornady, Federal, S&B and CorBon. I could not find one load that made USPSA major power factor. Actually none came close. Where does USPSA/IPSC come up with 9mmP making major in factory loads???

My apologies to Atlanta Arms and Ammo. They make .355Super, not 9mm major.

I have several friends shooting various 124gr & 125gr projectiles using 6.6gr-7.0gr of IMR 7625. They use Wolf regular small pistol primers (not magnum or small rifle) and see only the slightest bit of flattening. I don't understand exactly how that powder does what it does, but to my hands it is the softest powder I've shot in 9mm major, and yet still works comps & ports.

I'm a recently returned, old school, 9x21mm loader from way back when the formula was the largest charge of the slowest powder that made major was the way to go. Huge charges of no.9, no.7, HS7, etc, were 'the way to go'. I hope you're sitting down; I used to compress 10.4gr of HS7 under 115gr black bullets in my 9x21mm brass which made major nicely, and was extremely flat shooting. It also produced a brutally harsh recoil impulse that broke many a slide-stop pin.

Some of the other old school loaders that I know simply report that 7625 is a much faster powder and cannot work the ports as well...blah blah. There is more to powder than just burn speed. The thing is that different powers also have other characteristics, such as a specific caloric rate, or how much energy (usually measured in BTUs (=heat energy)) per grain is produced. There is more to it, with the point being that there are a number of factors that make different powders feel and behave differently. I believe that 7625 is a near magical combination for 9mm major. Powder charges that fit nicely, a fairly quick recoil impulse with very soft results, yet enough gas volume and pressure to work comps and ports. As I touched on earlier, I am somewhat baffled as to how this works so well, but for me it is the way to go at this time with 9mm major loads. Certainly not the only way, just the best for me.

about 9mm +p. I dont think it meets the 165 pf requirement for major, even +p+. You either load your own or get it from atlanta ammo. They have a 9 major, which is the .355, it's about 174 pf.

I just checked the web pages of Remington, Winchester, Hornady, Federal, S&B and CorBon. I could not find one load that made USPSA major power factor. Actually none came close. Where does USPSA/IPSC come up with 9mmP making major in factory loads???

SharonAnne - You won't find any load data from the powder or ammo companies because 9x19 Major is way over even 9x19 +P pressures. The only exception I'm aware of is Winchester 127 grain +P+, and that takes a long barrel to barely make Major, and "+P+" means only that it's above the industry standard for +P...it doesn't say by how much. Factory 9x19 +P loads run in the 140-150 PF range from my CZ-75Bs and Beretta 92.

Yep,172 or about, so the tinkertoy tells me (Shooting Chrony). The 6.8 load felt nicer than the 6.6 load that I tested....I guess the 3 port comp that's on my Tanfo is tuned for the old 175PF....

I heard good stuff about IMR as well. So your running about 172-174 pf? Same pf of ammo I get from atlanta arms and ammo. I think I should try that, starting about 6.4 grains then try to go up. Thanks.

SharonAnne - You won't find any load data from the powder or ammo companies because 9x19 Major is way over even 9x19 +P pressures. The only exception I'm aware of is Winchester 127 grain +P+, and that takes a long barrel to barely make Major, and "+P+" means only that it's above the industry standard for +P...it doesn't say by how much. Factory 9x19 +P loads run in the 140-150 PF range from my CZ-75Bs and Beretta 92.

http://www.k8nd.com/documents/hl9x21.pdf

9x21 loads will get you close.

Leo

I wonder if the Atlanta Arms stuff will make major in a Gold Team V12.

I've got a V8 in 38 super. I'm running 7.3 of IMR7625 with a Montana Gold 121gr IFP and Starline or Armscor Brass. Longshot is my backup powder. It has a high density, so it doesn't fill the 38 super case, so it might work with 9mm.

I wish I had a 9mm. If I did, I wouldn't buy new brass. I'd buy some once-fired used stuff and only pickup after practice. At a match, I'd leave it on the ground. You can get it for less than $55 per 1000 from Brassman.com. Ken Marx sells it on USPSA.org (classified ads) for around $45 per 1000. Now that's cheap! Plus it is easy on your back.

If you decide to pickup brass at a match, you'll get back more than you shoot, since all those production shooters leave nice new brass behind.