Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nearsightedness

dbagwell

"snipage"

Judging by the ads, there are lens replacement procedures as an alternative to Lasik. Crystalens, ReZoom, ReStor. These are more extreme.

"more snipage"

Lee

Does anyone have experience with lens replacement? I am scheduled for cataract surgery next week. Left eye only (for now, right eye is still fairly good). After talking with the ophthalmologist, I decided to go with the Crystalens. Does anyone have lens replacement for any other reason besides cataracts?

I had lasik done several years ago for presbyopia and it put me back to where my eyes were about 10 years before. I still needed reading glasses, but was fine for everything else. Well, as I have gotten older my vision is becoming more of an issue (it doesn't help that I work at a computer all day as this gives my eyes no exercise at all) and the difference between my eyes is increasing and my astigmatism is becoming more of an issue. So, it may soon be time to go back under the knife.

Having said all that, this past year I bought a pair of Rudy photochromic red glasses and I must say that they do an incredibly good job with my eyes when I am shooting. Even with my poor vision, I can see better because they reduce the light enough so that it doesn't hurt my eyes but does cause my iris to close down some and give me a good depth of focus.

• 3 months later...
I'm near sighted as well and wear contacts daily (-1.50) except when I shoot. I only wear a contact in my left eye (left eye dominant). That gives me perfect focus on my sights (front and rear) of my pistol and target. I do the same for my rifle and shotgun. For the rifle, I just adjust the eyepiece until the reticle is in focus and the shotgun acts the same as the pistol.

Best of both worlds. I'm able to see my sights and target clearly and call my shots on paper as well.

You will get used to wearing one lens pretty quickly. Try it out.

+ 1

I can't believe that most shooters aren't using this advantage. It feels like cheating.

PS: did you mean to say right eye dominant? I am - 1,5 as well, and remove the contact on my dominant ene.

I am also nearsighted. I purchased glasses from Decot and the guy that specs out the glasses recommended backing my dominant right eye script down by 25%. It works perfectly, nice crisp front sight and I can still see the distance targets.

I recommend the Decot folks!

• 1 month later...
I'm near sighted as well and wear contacts daily (-1.50) except when I shoot. I only wear a contact in my left eye (left eye dominant). That gives me perfect focus on my sights (front and rear) of my pistol and target. I do the same for my rifle and shotgun. For the rifle, I just adjust the eyepiece until the reticle is in focus and the shotgun acts the same as the pistol.

Best of both worlds. I'm able to see my sights and target clearly and call my shots on paper as well.

You will get used to wearing one lens pretty quickly. Try it out.

+ 1

I can't believe that most shooters aren't using this advantage. It feels like cheating.

PS: did you mean to say right eye dominant? I am - 1,5 as well, and remove the contact on my dominant ene.

I spent about sixth months last year until December experimenting with all of this and with the help of my optometrist I now use MonoVision contacts for routine use and specially formulated contacts that I call LR contacts (standard brand Rotovision) that are refracted so that I can the front sight sharply and can focus on targets out to distance as well. It is the equivalent of being farsighted, more or less. It has worked fantastically well. I can see everything now, including hits and practice has become much more focused as a result (Not a pun). I am actually able to do quick makeups in real time, bury the sight in the target on the move, etc. I can't read with them or read text messages, but some drugstore 2+ glasses help that. I've worn them for 16-20 hours without problems. I can't use iron rifle sights (can with MonoVision, or with one contact of the LR out) very well, Trijicon Reflex are great, as are the ACOG's or Accupoint scopes. I have no trouble with the bead and fiberoptic front blade on my shotgun. It took multiple iterations of different refractions to get it exactly right, and needs tweaking occasionally. I asked about LASIK and my optometrist and ophthalmologist recommended against it. I am glad it worked for XRe, but I think part of that is that his eyes were already trained in focusing and transitioning for many years. It really is an individual thing. If you are just learning how to shoot IPSC or want to make sure you are really comfortable in your daily shooting environment, contacts are way better than glasses. I have shot a lot with MonoVision lenses also, but I prefer my LR lenses for serious training and matches. To me, seeing is shooting.

After getting back into shooting after a 6 year absence, I found that my eyes had gotten bad enough that I couldn't shift focus between the target and front sight and, even worse, couldn't see the front sight very well at all. I struggled with this for several months until I stumbled upon some of these posts about mono-vision lenses and the like. I looked into it and found that shooting with glasses where the lens on the dominant eye is set for arms length and non-dominant eye set for distance allows me to see my front sight and still be able to walk around without bumping into things like tape over the lens made me do. I also found a great place to have them made. Finding an optomitrist who was willing to let me bring my gun into the office wasn't that difficult either, I just had to ask around.

http://www.decot.com/

They have been in the business of sports glasses for 50+ years. They were great to work with and have excellent customer service.

I now have a pair of shooting glasses with daytime and nighttime lenses that I can swap out and see my sights.

Oh, and they have some great articles on their website that I found interesting.

Edited by glockman2000

• 4 weeks later...

I used to use the Browning Magic Dot because I was right eye dominant and I'm left handed. I originally used the dot over my right eye and used my left. It worked very well. I decided to do the same but I put the dot over my left eye and used my right eye. That worked very well too. After shooting that way for awhile I went back to trying to shoot with both eyes open. I was able now to use my dominant eye without any magic dot.

This is what I figured out

My eye dominance was so close that they would switch back and forth from eye to eye. I didn't matter where the gun was both eye would constantly fight over the sight. Off course thats a problem when your lined up with your right eye and your left eye takes over. What happened was when I used the Magic dot or tape I strengthed my eye because the other one was covered. My vision has progressively gotten better in the last 3 or 4 yrs. The doctor noticed and was asking what I was doing. Thats what got me thinking. When I switched the magic dot over my left eye and used my dominant right eye my vision went from -1.75 to -.75 in one yr. The doctor said covering one eye up made the other work alot harder and that was why my vision improved.

Now that I shoot with both eyes and I'm do back to the eye doctor I'm curious to see is they haven't started to get worse.

I know TT has some posts about doing eye exercises from way back somewhere on the forum

Flyin