Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon sizer/decapper not decapping

I've been loading 38SC on my 650 for a couple of years now. I'm using a Lee U die sizer/decapper, Redding Comp seating die and a Lee sizer/crimp die. A couple of weeks ago I was given a set of Dillon 38 dies and decided to put the Dillon sizer/decapper in the first station and move the Lee U die to the second station(removed the decapping pin). I read about some folks doing the same as it eases the sizing transition into the Lee U die. What the heck, I've got a set of dies laying around so installed both sizers and adjusted them. Right away one out of six or seven do not get the primer pushed all the way out. The Dillon set is not the "new dynamic" set so while comparing the sizer to a 45ACP sizer I see that the 45 does not have a "wavy" washer under the "E" clip holding the decapping stem together. After removing it the rate of failure goes to about one in fifteen. Called the good folks at Dillon who asked first what primers I was using. Answer was WSR primers which he said should be causing me no problems. Next question was I using range brass that I found. Nope, I have Starline whose lineage I know. He suggests sending me a new decapping pin as mine might be worn down. Measuring both they are identical in length. Both sizers were installed by running them down to the shellplate and back up about .020".

I don't need to use the Dillon sizer but I hate having unresolved problems like this dogging me. Any ideas??

CYa,

Pat

P.S.

I never had any decapping issues with the U die.

Check and see exactly what is happening.

Is the decapper not pushing the primer out at all?

Is it pushing out part way?

Is it getting pushed out all the way, and then getting pulled back?

CCI primers are known for gripping on the pin, and being pulled back.

I'll keep saying this... when it decaps, you should get a snap off that spring... That pop knocks any sticky primers off the pin... it tends to throw them too, but it's better than the issues you are having. The reason I bring this up is I changed the stock spring to try and keep it from throwing primers all over my shop, but in doing so I created the same issue you are having now, so it's a possibility as well. You might want to pull that spring out and give it a little tug.

I'll keep saying this... when it decaps, you should get a snap off that spring... That pop knocks any sticky primers off the pin... it tends to throw them too, but it's better than the issues you are having. The reason I bring this up is I changed the stock spring to try and keep it from throwing primers all over my shop, but in doing so I created the same issue you are having now, so it's a possibility as well. You might want to pull that spring out and give it a little tug.

The spring should and most always will snap the spent primer off but its by all means not perfect, break the edges of the pin anyway.--------------Larry

Edited by Larry White

• 2 weeks later...