Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drift, jibber-jabber...

Tom E

(Funny how some of the same folks who believe that longer bullet jump is detrimental to accuracy also believe in Taylor Throating with a free-bore section.) :wacko:

Maybe because the "freebore" in the Taylor Throat is barrel groove diameter not ~.030" over like the chamber is.

Edited by Tom E

Carmoney wrote: "Nothing chambered for a caliber beginning with a .3 is a good USPSA gun. Nobody can seriously argue with me on that, Pat, not even the nutty professor"

I CAN !!!!!!!

Been shooting rev/minor since July when I sold my 625 and decided to give a 6" 686-1 a greater purpose.......only wish I'd did it 3yrs ago. Though it did take a couple matches to figure it out how to do it, I've now been consistantly placing overall 50% or better (the only way a lone wheelgunner can track progress) - something I couldn't do with a 625, so from my experience rev/minor can be competitive in USPSA, just depends how bad you want to make it work.

But more importantly Mike, before you write such negitive comments, consider those who have something other than a 625 or can't handle major pf, but want to give Revolver Div a try, you've just told them their gun is "no good" for the game and they can't be competitive........think positively, it can be done ;)

Edited by Jerry V

But more importantly Mike, before you write such negitive comments, consider those who have something other than a 625 or can't handle major pf, but want to give Revolver Div a try, you've just told them their gun is "no good" for the game and they can't be competitive........think positively, it can be done ;)

Well, I didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings, Jerry. I really didn't.

But let's face some facts here: (1) The way the scoring system in USPSA is set up, shooting minor will always create a disadvantage--even in Single Stack 1911 division where you get two extra rounds if you shoot .38/9mm minor, the winning shooters nearly always shoot major; (2) Reloads with anything other than a well-chamfered .45 revolver will always be slower on average--the disadvantage may be slight or significant depending on what gun is being used--but it cannot be denied.

For those who think they can't handle major power factor: Except for rare cases of true disability or lack of physical strength, I have news for you--the problem is probably in your technique, or in your head. I've watched all sorts of people, from pre-teen kids to women in their 50s, shoot N-frame revolvers with major loads, and be effective and competitive.

For those who are interested in starting out in Revolver Division--well, I sure don't want to dissuade you from competing with us, and if all you have is a .38/.357 by all means give it a try, but you should be aware that shooting Revolver in USPSA is a tough task, and you're making it even tougher on yourself. If you can afford it, the sooner you can upgrade to a .45 revolver, the sooner you will be competing on an even playing field (and the sooner you will have more fun doing so).

Or so it seems to me.

Disclaimer: No offense is intended to anyone. No defensive reaction is required! :)

For those who are interested in starting out in Revolver Division--well, I sure don't want to dissuade you from competing with us, and if all you have is a .38/.357 by all means give it a try, but you should be aware that shooting Revolver in USPSA is a tough task, and you're making it even tougher on yourself. If you can afford it, the sooner you can upgrade to a .45 revolver, the sooner you will be competing on an even playing field (and the sooner you will have more fun doing so).

Perfectly true, and seems to me, part of the problem with our low participation. Discourages those with .3 somethings, really discourages those with 7 & 8 shot revolvers. Face it, a .45acp moonclipped revolver is an "oddball" revolver. I think something as simple as going to "10 rd neutral" from the current "8 rd neutral" would put 6, 7, and 8 shooters on pretty even ground.

Carmoney wrote: "Nothing chambered for a caliber beginning with a .3 is a good USPSA gun. Nobody can seriously argue with me on that, Pat, not even the nutty professor"

I CAN !!!!!!!

Been shooting rev/minor since July when I sold my 625 and decided to give a 6" 686-1 a greater purpose.......only wish I'd did it 3yrs ago. Though it did take a couple matches to figure it out how to do it, I've now been consistantly placing overall 50% or better (the only way a lone wheelgunner can track progress) - something I couldn't do with a 625, so from my experience rev/minor can be competitive in USPSA, just depends how bad you want to make it work..................///.......think positively, it can be done ;)

Jerry V. good for you! I still shoot the L frame. Although it is now chambered in 38 super. I just like getting my brass back. (I'm cheap that way) I was able to make A class Revo with my 38 specials shooting minor. Albeit just a paper A Class.

The best Classifiers I have had is with the Minor L frame a couple in the Master range a couple of years back

8/25/07 03-05 UNITED STATES SHOOTING ACADEMY Y 85.3090 9/11/07

11/25/06 06-05 UNITED STATES SHOOTING ACADEMY E 91.5763 12/07/06

Are you using moonclips or speedloaders Jerry?

There were still folks commenting on the original questions, and questions generate from THAT discussion.

It's not a "free flowing conversation" when the same topics drifts are brought up in thread after thread in a quasi bully pulpit fashion.

If you all want to keep debating throating, max rounds from a position, and up to 8 shots Minor...we have threads with those discussions that are ongoing. Every other thread in the revolver section need not lead to the same place.

Now, I know we don't moderate all that much in the Revolver section, but this is a moderated forum. I first tried to steer the thread and remind folks not to drift. That was meet with a quip. After that quip, I went ahead and removed the drift to a different thread. Now, I am back here for a third go-round...answering another quip. (which I'll have to also move, because we've effectively killed off the thread.)

I gave a hint. I removed the issue to another environment. Now I've further addressed the action of drifting a thread to beat the same dead horse(s).

(to borrow some words...)

I didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings. I really didn't. No offense is intended to anyone. No defensive reaction is required!

There is no great injustice here. Not even a wrap on the knuckles. Just a reminder that our pet-peeves need not be overly expressed.

- Admin.