Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2009 30th Anniversary NRA Bianchi Cup

NRAActionPistol

All,

The last of International Invitations and entry forms went out today, anyone that has shot the Championship this year, or has requested an Invitation will get one. http://www.nrahq.org/compete/nm_actionshooting.asp

The On-Line entry should be up & running in the next few weeks. We are now in the full time 2009 30th Anniversary NRA Bianchi Cup mode. If you have not requested an entry yet and want one, please contact us, we will get one out to you.

WE are looking forward to seeing eveyone in Columbia, MO in May 2009!

Tom...

Edited by NRAActionPistol

Tom, thanks for the update. Today I received an e-mail from the NRA Competative shooting Division which listed a number of 2009 NRA shooting events, including BC09. It stated the dates are 20-23 May. In a prior thread here, you stated the dates would be 22-27 May. Can you clarify the dates?

Thanks,

Jon

Tom, thanks for the update. Today I received an e-mail from the NRA Competative shooting Division which listed a number of 2009 NRA shooting events, including BC09. It stated the dates are 20-23 May. In a prior thread here, you stated the dates would be 22-27 May. Can you clarify the dates?

Thanks,

Jon

Jon,

Sorry for the confusion, the previous dates posted were changed due to some logistical problems. The Official dates for 2009 are 20-23 May 2009 with a planned Ray Chapman "Nostalgia" Match on Monday 18 May using only Production Firearms, to include 1911 Single Actions in .45 acp only, just like in the original Bianchi Cup of 1979. This is s tribute to the pioneers of Action Shooting, and will only apply to the "Nostalgia" Match. All other Events & Matches will follow the 2009 NRA Action Pistol Rules.

Thanks for the comment, hope to see you back in Columbia.

Tom...

Thanks,

Jon

Jon,

Sorry for the confusion, the previous dates posted were changed due to some logistical problems. The Oficial dates for 2009 are 20-23 May 2009 with a planned Ray Chapman "Nostalgia" Match on Monday 18 May using only Production Firearms, to include 1911 Single Actions in .45 Cal only, just like in the original Bianchi Cup of 1979.

Thanks for the comment, hope to see you back in Columbia.

Tom...

Tom,

So per your comment above ........"using only Production Firearms, to include 1911 Single Actions in .45 ACP only"...... infers that a .45acp 1911 shall be deemed a Production gun, which is contrary to other proposed definitions of what is PRODUCTION. Is this "only" for the Ray Chapman Nostalgia Match, or does it apply to NRA Action Pistol "Production" gun criteria? Heck, make it really nostalgic. You must use a 1911 in .45 acp. That would be less confusing than saying a 1911 is PRODUCTION here but not there during the same tournament under the same governing body.

Thanks for what you do for us shooters.

MJ :cheers:

I'll go out on a limb..... :unsure:

Koenig for the win. :roflol:

Mickey Fowler if he shows up. He has done it before with a 1911 in .45 acp with post and notch sights. The Ray Chapman Nostalgia match just may be the most exciting match during Cup Week in MO. Mickey broke the 1900 barrier with a "Production" gun (.45acp) in the 1980's. A feat that has not been equalled.

1850+ with a metallic gun is a huge achievement, 1900+ with metallic is incredible, and a 1900+ with a .45acp with post & notch sights is a whole new level of greatness. Mickey is truly one of the great pistoleros ever with a metallic sight 1911 in .45acp. I can't think of an equal, living or dead over the Bianchi COF so equiped.

It will be exciting.

MJ

Tom,

So per your comment above ........"using only Production Firearms, to include 1911 Single Actions in .45 ACP only"...... infers that a .45acp 1911 shall be deemed a Production gun, which is contrary to other proposed definitions of what is PRODUCTION. Is this "only" for the Ray Chapman Nostalgia Match, or does it apply to NRA Action Pistol "Production" gun criteria? Heck, make it really nostalgic. You must use a 1911 in .45 acp. That would be less confusing than saying a 1911 is PRODUCTION here but not there during the same tournament under the same governing body.

Thanks for what you do for us shooters.

MJ :cheers:

Martin,

Thank you, I fixed my response and again used your suggestion. It's always good to have backup. I agree, this will be very exciting to see, we are hiring a Professional Photographer for the 2009 Cup, all photo's of the "Nostalgia" Match will be in B&W. If any of the original competitors are reading this, let us know what else we can do to make the Anniversary spectacular!

Mickey we ALL hope you can make it! I found someone that has been to 29 of the 30 Cups, 2009 will be his 30th for the 30th Anniversary. Does anyone know of any other Iron Men out there?

Thanks again Martin, you have made this task a lot easier on me!

Tom...

Tom,

Recognize the highest scorer shooting a 1911 .45acp in the Nostalgia Match, then go back to some of the 1911 sponsors who said no, since 1911's were not considered Production legal. They are now, for this NOSTALGIC Match! This could be separate from the overall winner of the Nostalgia Match.

I'm thinking a call to COLT, Kimber, Wilson, Les Baer, Rock River, Springfield Arsenal, another call to S&W since the DK family of S&W guns are now eligible, same with STI, SVI and anyone else who has a catalog 1911 in .45 acp. (Is a double stack 1911 in .45acp an option?)

Wow what an opportunity to have a front seat showoff of donating a factory 1911 in .45 acp in memory and honor of three people. One, Ray Chapman, two John Bianchi and three the person who earns the gun. Now what would that advertising be worth to a 1911 .45 maker like WILSON, KIMBER and others in IDPA CDP or USPSA markets? A Black and White photo of the "production" gun as produced by ______, and the winner of the Nostalgia Match during Bianchi Week as a marketing piece for a gun in a gun rag. That's is marketing power.

Tom, get your marketing people on the phone quick before moneys are already allocated for other projects. Gun sales recently have been brisk, the fruit might be ripe for some picking. :rolleyes:

The Bianchi Cup. It is not about the Cup or the Match. It is about the experience of the entire Bianchi Week. We forget who wins the Cup in any given year, but we don't forget the week. The week is why people buy guns and practice because the week is there for all of us. The Cup is there for the winner! The effort is greater than the prize. It has to be or there would only be a few participants year after year.

Many thanks, as always;

MJ

Edited by Allgoodhits

Will we need the grip safety working or will it be a real nostalgia match with 1lb triggers and pinned safeties.???????

Next May I will need the following

A 1911 in 45ACP, the Open gun, the Metallic sight gun, and a 9mm Production gun. That should fill the suitcases up.

NEW MATCH

Settle the BC on those 4 guns over 4 days. :cheers:

Will we need the grip safety working or will it be a real nostalgia match with 1lb triggers and pinned safeties.???????

Next May I will need the following

A 1911 in 45ACP, the Open gun, the Metallic sight gun, and a 9mm Production gun. That should fill the suitcases up.

NEW MATCH

Settle the BC on those 4 guns over 4 days. :cheers:

I would not recommend trying the 1st line. If you do not want to shoot the "Nostalgia" Match, you do not have to.

You do NOT need (4) guns, you only need your primary gun, if that is all you want to shoot. Your Entry Packet is in the Mail, YOU can pick and choose what you want to shoot, and what equipment you need to do that.

WE hope to see you in Columbia for the 30th.

Tom,

You miss the point.

I really really really "need" 4 guns.

So back to the nostalgia match?

Does it have to be single stack, or will a 1988 era 6" Para Ordnance work?

Or do I have to find an excuse (not that I actually need an excuse) to buy the extra Kimber Gold Match sitting in the shop right now. It is pretty and I can hear it calling to me as I write. The only other Single Stack 1911 I own is a 3" Springfield with ports. That could be fun. :surprise:

Please forward more info on the Nostalgia Match as far as equipment and holsters is concerned.

Thanks

Tom,

You miss the point.

I really really really "need" 4 guns.

So back to the nostalgia match?

Does it have to be single stack, or will a 1988 era 6" Para Ordnance work?

Or do I have to find an excuse (not that I actually need an excuse) to buy the extra Kimber Gold Match sitting in the shop right now. It is pretty and I can hear it calling to me as I write. The only other Single Stack 1911 I own is a 3" Springfield with ports. That could be fun. :surprise:

Please forward more info on the Nostalgia Match as far as equipment and holsters is concerned.

Thanks

You need 8, don't forget the back-up guns! :roflol:

Tom, as Roger as stated, we do need more info. Heck we don't even have "definite" info on Production, now we have a relaxed definition of Production, ie 1911 in .45 only, for the Nostalgia match. Are there other slight changes for Nostalgia?

The 1911's used by the serious BC competitors of the late 1970's and early to mid 1980's were far from production guns in that they often had a barrel change, and sight changes and beaver tail grip safety changes and many had small mag wells, and of course ambi safeties. These would be nostalgia guns in .45acp 1911 platforms. Similar to todays IDPA CDP guns and USPSA Limited guns or at least Limited 10. Of couse the safety issues and the trigger pull weight would have to comply with NRA.

Under proposed NRA Production Rules the true Nostalgia attempt would eliminate probaly most guns of yester year if they were 1911's in .45 because most had improved barrels, or some other mod, yet they did not have comps, and probably had 5" barrels and many had either quality fixed sights or a lowered BoMar or similar. Some even melted S&W revolver rear sights into the slide. Even an NRA Conventional Pistol (accurized) Distinguished gun whether it be a Beretta M9 or the 1911 or 1911-A1 would not be permited in NRA Production. Reading through and understanding all these other things are what raises these questions. I haven't a clue what a carry type holster will be for a 6" revolver. Carry implies concealed. Is that the intent? I think not, so then what is the intent of carry? We are not trying to be difficult. It is just we don't want to be surprised after months of practice and possibly thousands of miles of travel to discover that our equipment is not allowed. :wacko: This has been a fear by many in recent years of equipment "definition" changes. So will there be a holster inspection along with the gun inpsection if you shoot Production? Does the same apply during the Nostalgia Match?

Have a good weekend, all.

MJ

Jeff,

The way it stands now, only Ladies & Juniors are allowed the rimfire guns at Bianchi Cup and they aren't in direct competition for the Cup itself, only for class awards and Rimfire records. I don't see that changing in the near future. However at the local, State & Regional level, Rimfire is allowed for all shooters with separate awards, classification cards and classes.

Welcome to the Forums!!

Alan~^~

Jeff,

The way it stands now, only Ladies & Juniors are allowed the rimfire guns at Bianchi Cup and they aren't in direct competition for the Cup itself, only for class awards and Rimfire records. I don't see that changing in the near future. However at the local, State & Regional level, Rimfire is allowed for all shooters with separate awards, classification cards and classes.

Welcome to the Forums!!

Alan~^~

Alan,

Thanks for the Back-up. For several reasons we do not see that many Rimfire or Open Modified competitors at the Cup, but we do see a lot at the local level. Hopefully we will see an increase in Production shooters as well.

Tom...

Tom...

Thanks for quick reply. I shot Action Pistol at our local club last year but need ALOT more practice with the centerfire gun before I can even consider going over to the Bianchi Cup Match but it is something I am looking forward to in the future. I was very glad to hear about the new production division.

Jeff

Thanks for quick reply. I shot Action Pistol at our local club last year but need ALOT more practice with the centerfire gun before I can even consider going over to the Bianchi Cup Match but it is something I am looking forward to in the future. I was very glad to hear about the new production division.

Jeff

Jeff,

Wecome aboard! I am sure everyone on here knows about practice, I know that we are looking forward to seeing you more in the Action Pistol community, and some day at the Bianchi Cup.

Check out the new NRA Blog http://www.nrablog.com/?tag=/nra+bianchi+cup it will have updates at the Match and info as it is happening from the ground. WE look forward to everyone checking it and posting information, advice and questions as well.

Tom...

All,

The Invitations to the 2009 30th Anniversary NRA Bianchi Cup have all been mailed out, if you competed this year or if you have requested an Invitation you will get one. If you want to be invited to this Historic Championship, please contact us ASAP. The Ray Chapman "Nostalgia" Match will be restricted to the 1st 200 Competitors that sign up to shoot it, this Match will be open to the Public in Columbia, MO as well. We will have a Professional Photographer at the Championship for 2009, and all Photographs of the "Nostalgia" Event will be produced in Black & White, just like in 1979!

We hope to see you all in Columbia!

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/nm_actionshooting.asp

2009 30th Anniversary NRA Bianchi Cup - National Action Pistol Championship “Sponsored By MidwayUSA”

Tentative Schedule of Events

Saturday May 17-24* Practice Range (Columbia Range) 8:00am-5:00pm*

Hosted by Green Valley R&P Club

Monday May 18 Ray Chapman “Nostalgia” Event 9:00am-4:00pm*

(Hallsville Range)

“Iron Sight Production Firearms Only”

Tuesday May 19 Range Closed for Match Preparation

Tuesday May 19 Registration (Holiday Inn) 8:00am-5:00pm*

Tuesday May 19 Competitor Briefing (Holiday Inn) 7:00pm*

Tuesday May 19 New Competitor Orientation (Holiday Inn) 7:45pm*

Wednesday May 20 Opening Ceremony (Range) 8:30am-9:00am*

Wednesday May 20 Competition Begins / First Shot (Range) 9:30am*

Wednesday May 20 Competitor Social Function (snacks served) 6:30pm*

(Holiday Inn Atrium)

Thursday May 21 Competition Continues (Range) 8:00am*

Thursday May 21 SPONSOR / VIP Reception (Holiday Inn) 6:30pm*

Thursday May 21 Shooter Q & A Session (Holiday Inn) 8:00pm*

Friday May 22 Competition Continues (Range) 8:00am*

Friday May 22 Western BBQ Dinner (Holiday Inn Pool Patio) 6:00pm*

Prize Table Winner Awards 7:30pm*

Saturday May 23 Bianchi International Speed Event (Range) 9:30am*

Saturday May 23 Celebrity/Pro-Am Event (Range) TBA after Speed Event*

Saturday May 23 Dinner / Awards Ceremony (Holiday Inn)

Saturday May 23 Cocktails / Silent Auction 6:00pm*

Saturday May 23 Dinner / Ceremony 7:00pm*

* All times are subject to Change

That nostalgia Match is going to be fun.

Put me down for it already. I can feel a new gun coming on.

Kimber Gold Match??? I think I will have to be sucking up to the better half over the next couple of weeks. FYI I am not above begging when it come to nice firearms, it is un-manly I know. But I am fine with that, or so my wife said I should be.

Application for Import Permits will be away 1st January.

That nostalgia Match is going to be fun.

Put me down for it already. I can feel a new gun coming on.

Kimber Gold Match??? I think I will have to be sucking up to the better half over the next couple of weeks. FYI I am not above begging when it come to nice firearms, it is un-manly I know. But I am fine with that, or so my wife said I should be.

Application for Import Permits will be away 1st January.

We are glad you like the idea, it's a great way to pay tribute to all the pioneers of the Cup. Kimber Gold Match is indeed a fine firearm, but if you intend to use it for the "Nostalgia Match" it must be .45 ACP we are told they did not use .38 Super in 1979!

Looking forward to see you all in Columbia.

Tom,

You forgot to add post match celebrations in the Atrium bar til the wee hours of Sunday Morning. :cheers:

Mark

Mark,

You are so correct my friend, I think it will be hopping in 2009, hopefully I will have some more free time!

Hope to see you there.

Tom...

All,

The entries are coming in already, we have 10 people signed up, and the Online Entry is not operational yet! We are hoping the 30th Anniversary will be the biggest & best ever!

We wish all of you and your families the very best of Holidays, and a Safe & Happy New Year!

Tom...