Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bomar schematic?

bigsaxdog

anybody got one? been searching the computer, and the best i come up with is on 'brownells', and the .480" back from the front cut to the center of the dovetail doesn't look right for the 'caspian' bomar that i got, so....... and i'm not real clear on the size of the back pocket either. i guess i could just measure the sight, but then i wouldn't have to ask you guys. i'm kinda into the 'measure twice, cut once, grasshopper' thing. help me out, y'all.........

Here's something I'm battling with right now, on a new limited gun I'm putting together. This probably should be included in this topic for reference.

After spotting the elevation screw hole in the slide with a #21 drill, per the instructions, it looks to be around 5 to 10 degrees off vertical. When you spot the hole, it ends up off-center due to this angle. Should the user drill and tap the actual 6-48 hole at a matching angle? Or just vertical to the slide at the spot?

Can you tell I am an Open shooter and don't know a damn thing about Limited guns? :roflol:

I'll post pics to explain what I'm asking when I get home tonight.

Thanks to all who reply!

Thank you want2race,

Those are what Brownells has on their site (FYI if anyone else is looking, the Brownells site is much easier to navigate than AR15.com). It talks about drilling & tapping, but not if you should carry the angle.

I'm guessing one of the reasons folks have the elevation screw snapping off is the screw is put in at 0 degrees, causing it to bang against the countersunk hole in the leaf. It actually should match the leaf angle (?) so the stress pulls on the threads rather than banging against them sideways. It's only a 6-48.

Thank you want2race,

Those are what Brownells has on their site (FYI if anyone else is looking, the Brownells site is much easier to navigate than AR15.com). It talks about drilling & tapping, but not if you should carry the angle.

I'm guessing one of the reasons folks have the elevation screw snapping off is the screw is put in at 0 degrees, causing it to bang against the countersunk hole in the leaf. It actually should match the leaf angle (?) so the stress pulls on the threads rather than banging against them sideways. It's only a 6-48.

I've always drilled them perpendicular to the slide cut, not trying to allow for any angle of the body. The way the sides of the screw are at an angle, it's to allow for the movement of the elevation adjustment. I've been installing BoMars since the early 80's, long before there were optics on IPSC guns. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

seth at caspian turned me on to a new forum "gunbuilders.info". at the homepage, they have a print of a bomar that's pretty good, although the elevation hole dimension/placement was a bit off, at least on the one that i was doing, a caspian one. now that bomar is gone, i bet all the clones are 'yang' made, and i wouldn't trust all the dimensions too greatly. don't really like the things, they look like shit and are pretty much a gizmo for shooters that have to chase their zero all the time. the heinie one i did was great, dimensions great, easy to do, and looks good.

http://gunbuilders.info/index.php?page=sight-cuts

Edited by Flexmoney
to add live link

seth at caspian turned me on to a new forum "gunbuilders.info". at the homepage, they have a print of a bomar that's pretty good, although the elevation hole dimension/placement was a bit off, at least on the one that i was doing, a caspian one. now that bomar is gone, i bet all the clones are 'yang' made, and i wouldn't trust all the dimensions too greatly. don't really like the things, they look like shit and are pretty much a gizmo for shooters that have to chase their zero all the time. the heinie one i did was great, dimensions great, easy to do, and looks good.

Thanks! I printed that off, I'm curious how the dimensions line up with the hole spotting that Bomar instructed. (BTW, this is an actual fo-real Bomar site I'm installing)

the next one i do, after doing all the slide/dovetail cuts, i'm gonna install the thing and then find the hole w/a edge/hole finder, then drill. i think the hole in the sight with the detent is intentionally a bit big so the angle has enough room to move the sight up, if you follow what i mean(which, i know for a fact, is kinda dangerous).......and if it's tight, that's what dremels are for.......

that 'blindhogg' link is cool. he's got some good stuff there. i really like his knife forging/home forge stuff. nice guy too, he was(still is, maybe?) active on this 'home gunsmithing' forum i used to read. probably still there, i haven't looked, but there was some good info there. he helped me a bunch....

Edited by bigsaxdog