Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 SPX choke tube

Zebraman

I have several Remington semi-autos. As a result, I have a lot of different Remington choke tubes including a poly-choke. I am thinking about getting a Mossberg 930 SPX and having the barrel threaded for a Rem Choke to give me a little more versatility. Does anyone know if this can be done? Also, can anyone recommend a gunsmith to do it?

Thanks,

Z

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I see this thread is a couple months old, but anyway, I just sent my Mossberg 930 SPX barrel out to these folks:

http://www.americhoke.com/

(Really R&D Custom Barrel)

Their web page says the minimum barrel diameter for a Rem choke is .850, mine is .870 and they emailed me that they can install a Rem-Choke system if the bore diameter does not exceed .738 , I mic'd the inside and it was .730 so it's good to go.

• 3 weeks later...
I see this thread is a couple months old, but anyway, I just sent my Mossberg 930 SPX barrel out to these folks:

http://www.americhoke.com/

(Really R&D Custom Barrel)

Their web page says the minimum barrel diameter for a Rem choke is .850, mine is .870 and they emailed me that they can install a Rem-Choke system if the bore diameter does not exceed .738 , I mic'd the inside and it was .730 so it's good to go.

Let us know how this goes if you don't mind. . . I've been thinking of this for my SPX, but haven't seen any or heard any feedback on effectiveness. Thx

Don't mind at all, I just got it back, I'll take it out this weekend hopefully and check the pattern with 7-1/2 , #4 and buck at a couple different distances then post pics and info...

Let us know how this goes if you don't mind. . . I've been thinking of this for my SPX, but haven't seen any or heard any feedback on effectiveness. Thx

• 2 weeks later...
Don't mind at all, I just got it back, I'll take it out this weekend hopefully and check the pattern with 7-1/2 , #4 and buck at a couple different distances then post pics and info...

OK, finally stopped raining just long enough to take it out for a while...

1. All loads that I tried functioned 100%, no jams, failures to feed or eject. I put 50 shells thru it: 2-3/4" #7-1/2 heavy target, light target, #4 pheasant, 00 buck, 3" magnum buck, 2-3/4 lo-recoil slugs, 3" mag slugs. My shoulder is not sore, but it gave me a little headache.

2. The Americhoke.com modified extended choke worked well- reduced my #7.5 pattern at 25 yds to get most of it on an IPSC, was way more spread out, no problems with the buck or slugs, pretty tight group (for me) at 85 yds. Had to adjust the sights for elevation and windage, POI was high and right.

3. Recoil is noticeably lighter than my 500A.

Nordic tube (holds 8 in the tube ) and clamp and rail with Viking Tactics sling. Ready for Benning, baby.

post-15146-1244406666_thumb.jpg

post-15146-1244406705_thumb.jpg

post-15146-1244406719_thumb.jpg

post-15146-1244406729_thumb.jpg

post-15146-1244406740_thumb.jpg