Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.56 Reloading ?'s

mmcnx

I'm having a ar15 barreled in 5.56 based on a recommendation of the barrel maker. The gun will be used for long range accuracy shooting.

I understand 5.56 and .223 are not the exact same thing so a few questions.

1. do they make 5.56 dies or do you use .223?

2. should I start with 5.56 brass or can i size .223 to 5.56 spec's?

3. if I use 5.56 brass what needs to be done tot hte primer pockets to prep for reloading?

Thanks in advance for helping.

Here's a good read about the differences in .223 Remington vs. 5.56 ammo. http://www.winchester.com/lawenforcement/n...aspx?storyid=11

You size them the same either way. Since the 5.56 cases maybe thicker, they would have less internal capacity and this may require a reduction in powder charge over a commercial .223 Remington case.

Military cases typically have swaged primer pockets and there are a few different tools used to remove that. Dillon and RCBS sell a swager that swages the crimp out. You can use various deburring/chamfering tools to remove the swaged in metal as well.

Ask the barrel maker why not chamber it WYLDE? WYLDE is a bit more throat than .223 but less than 5.56.

I like the WYLDE personally but have also seen phenomenal accuracy out of a 5.56 chamber given the right load.

Same dies and brass are used for either. The chamber difference is in the throat.

there are several 5.56 'chambers'. Derrick Martin of Accuracy Speaks in Mesa, AZ developed his own. He did most of the development work on the Army National Guard team rifles. Personally, I would have it chambered for .223 Remington and then cut the throat with the reamer made by Ned Christiansen of MichiGun. Go to www.m-guns.com. Look in the 'Tools' section. Once you have that you can cut all of your AR15 chambers to the same spec.

The Wylde chamber IS a very good chamber though.

Edited by SharonAnne9x23

The gun will be used for long range accuracy shooting.

How long?

If it's anything more than 300 yards, I hope you have at least a 1-8 twist to use 75 - 80 gr bullets.

I thought you needed the 1/7 to get the most out of the 80s. And for shooting out to 600 or so you really need the heavies.

Yankee dog