Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

wanting to start shooting ICORE need help!

Ok the more I read, the more i'm lost. I want to get an 8 shot (wanted a 625JM, but was told it's not great for ICORE) so it looks like the S&W 627 PRO would be a good choice. My friend is getting into it also and wants to get the same model but wants to shoot 38 short colt through it. Is this the right gun for ICORE? also could I use this gun for USPSA if I only loaded 6 (I don't know if this will work or not) but I really can't afford to buy two seperate guns. Also does this model 627 Pro use moonclips? also could someone point me in the right direction for holsters, moonclip mag holders, etc...

thanks in advance.

If you only want to get one gun and shoot both ICORE and USPSA, try to find a 5" 625. They are still out there. Or a 25-2. They are better suited to USPSA but will work great for ICORE.

OR if your plan is to shoot ICORE more get a 6 shot 686 you can shoot USPSA with it.

You can load 38 specials to major or shoot minor until you can afford to pick up a 625.

A barrel length of 5" or more will be better for both games. That is one down side to the 627 pro and the 625 JM.

If you are determind to get a 627 you can use it for USPSA and load 8 you can only shoot 6.

However I would suggest getting one of the PC guns and not the pro. They're 2 different versions of the pro. The one with the flat sided barrel is cut for moons. The one with the plain barrel is not.

If you should decide to go with the 686 you can have it cut for moons very cheaply.

IF you get a 627 the only moon clips worth spending your money on are Hearthco. Yes they are expensive but worth every penny of it. I didn't want to believe that but I tried them now I am a Hearthco convert.

For 627's and 625's the North Mountain moon clip holder is the best thing going right now.

They're several good holsters out there, I like the CR Speed.

I hope this helps

yuthh, Where are you located? In our area many revo shooters will let you try their revo to see if it what you actually want to compete with. I am very stubborn and the more people tell me that I need a 625 or 25 to be competitive in USPSA the more I try to compete with L frames. I may not be a top shooter but it not because of my equipment, it is my own shortcommings, (old, fat and slow). vrmn1 has good advice on the 8 shot, pick the one that is already cut for moonclips. You can load 8 but shoot only 6 before a reload in USPSA. The 627's are a bit pricey but I guess they all are anymore. In ICORE one can be very competitive with a 6 shot but you would problably have more confidence with the extra two shots and push the envelope a little. As far as holsters you could do a search in the revo forum and get a lot of advice on them. CR Speed, ghost and alike. It is past my bedtime so I will close and hope to see you at the range. Later rdd

Sorry my bad, That wasn't Yuthh posting that, it was me. He was at my house and logged on and I guess it kept him logged on so when I posted it had his name down. But he's wanting to shoot ICORE also. Yes Bubber we have shot with you a few times in USSA. Where would I get a good trigger job? I think im going to go with the 627 that's cut for moon clips.

YUTHH,

I just shot an ICORE match and you don't want to do it with a 625. We had 3 Texas Stars. I watched shooter after shooter miss a couple of plates on a star and have to eat a standing reload. There were a couple of bays with 6 poppers. Again I watched shooter after shooter miss a popper and have to take a standing reload with their 625s. I put a 627 PC through and never took a standing reload through the entire match. It's a huge advantage having those extra 2 shots. If you like ICORE, buy the 627 PC and don't look back. Another advantage of the 627s is that they are better for NRA Action matches and Steel Challenge matches because the 38 Special loads down to minor power factor so much better than a .45. You can shoot the 148 Wad Cutters or 125 gr JHPs for NRA Action or Steel Challenge and still have decent velocity at a 125 power factor. The 45s just can't do that. Also, 38 caliber bullets only cost about 60%-70% of what .45 caliber bullets cost. This allows you to do a lot more shooting for the same amount of money. The 627 just fits a lot more gun games better than a 625. I own a nice 625 and it's basically a safe queen.

yuthh, Where are you located? In our area many revo shooters will let you try their revo to see if it what you actually want to compete with. I am very stubborn and the more people tell me that I need a 625 or 25 to be competitive in USPSA the more I try to compete with L frames. I may not be a top shooter but it not because of my equipment, it is my own shortcommings, (old, fat and slow). vrmn1 has good advice on the 8 shot, pick the one that is already cut for moonclips. You can load 8 but shoot only 6 before a reload in USPSA. The 627's are a bit pricey but I guess they all are anymore. In ICORE one can be very competitive with a 6 shot but you would problably have more confidence with the extra two shots and push the envelope a little. As far as holsters you could do a search in the revo forum and get a lot of advice on them. CR Speed, ghost and alike. It is past my bedtime so I will close and hope to see you at the range. Later rdd

Old? Well, maybe, a little. Fat? No, not really. Slow??? HELL NO! :roflol: Don't let Bubber fool you. He's like greased lightning with that wheelie of his. :surprise:

Oh, and get an 8-shot if you can. You'll always be thinking :wacko: you should've gotten one if you don't. Steel Challenge has 5 shots in it. We do SC stages in ICORE, so you'll run into that alot. 8 rounds is nice on a five shot array.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

yeah it's kinda like I was thinking. Yeah i've seen bubber shoot, shot with him several times and we live pretty close to each other (1 - 1 1/2 hour drive) so we at most of the (USPSA) matches, especially at USSA with him. I think we'll have to come over and do some wheel talkin' with him next shoot. So who's going down to Arcadia this Saturday?

yeah it's kinda like I was thinking. Yeah i've seen bubber shoot, shot with him several times and we live pretty close to each other (1 - 1 1/2 hour drive) so we at most of the (USPSA) matches, especially at USSA with him. I think we'll have to come over and do some wheel talkin' with him next shoot. So who's going down to Arcadia this Saturday?

Come on over. We are starting to get a good wheel turnout at Arcadia now with the Gober Twins Waltermitty and a couple of fellars from Kansas. I will be the short Fat one Shiverin in the corner. later rdd

• 2 months later...