Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's With he "Dash"

steveyacht

This may seem like a very stupid question, but, I am kinda new at this and want to learn. I have seen Smith and Wesson models referred to by their model number followed buy a "Dash" number. What does this number signify and does it have anything to do with the desirability of a particular gun?

Thanks,

Steve

The MODEL#-3 is a production change or improvement change.

Some dash model command a higher price. I do believe that the 625-3 is one of them.

First time I've heard the floating hand called desireable.

Some dash model command a higher price. I do believe that the 625-3 is one of them.

OK, Thank you.... My 625 5" is a - 6 So can I assume that it is a later model with most factory changes and imrovements?

Thanks again

Yes, although the dash numbers do not always mean the same thing in different models. For instance, the 25-2 is a 6.5" blue .45 ACP. But a 25-5 is in .45 Colt and could have a 4-6-8" barrel.

I've seen K-frame models with dash numbers in the low and mid teens. A lot of them are design changes that let the factory track parts needs, and for most of the dash numbers they mean nothing to our needs, uses or desires.

OK, Thank you.... My 625 5" is a - 6 So can I assume that it is a later model with most factory changes and imrovements?

Thanks again

625-6 is USUALLY a frame mounted firing pin, MIM, gun with no internal lock. To me anyway, the most desireable version. Nice way to start.

It was the original 625-2 that had the floating hand. That was one of the design changes in the 625-3, but some early 625-3s do have the floating hands as the factory used up its old parts. (S&W never liked to throw anything away.)

Thanks again

625-6 is USUALLY a frame mounted firing pin, MIM, gun with no internal lock. To me anyway, the most desireable version. Nice way to start.

There are several permutations of 625-6 (different barrel lengths and different chamberings), but when you're talking about a 5" .45 ACP 625-6, all of them I have seen are exactly as Tom E describes--frame mounted firing pin, MIM, no IL. And although you can make a world-class USPSA revolver out of any 5" 625, both of my personal 625s are -6s, if that tells you anything! :)

I assume that it is a later model with most factory changes and imrovements

Can't assume 'fatory changes' = 'improvements' ... more often than not, they are changes to minimize production costs (excepting the demise of the floating hand).

/Bryan

It was the original 625-2 that had the floating hand. That was one of the design changes in the 625-3, but some early 625-3s do have the floating hands as the factory used up its old parts. (S&W never liked to throw anything away.)

I just worked on a friends -3 with a floating hand. Also had chambers my reamer just rattled around in, biggest I've seen. You never know.

Thanks again

There are several permutations of 625-6 (different barrel lengths and different chamberings), but when you're talking about a 5" .45 ACP 625-6, all of them I have seen are exactly as Tom E describes--frame mounted firing pin, MIM, no IL. And although you can make a world-class USPSA revolver out of any 5" 625, both of my personal 625s are -6s, if that tells you anything! :)

Thank you all for your information!! I bought the gun several years so I could have a DA revolver to shoot in local club competition with. Now, forgive me my ignorance, but I am new to the intricasies.... What does "MIM" mean?

Thanks again,

Steve

Thanks again

Thank you all for your information!! I bought the gun several years so I could have a DA revolver to shoot in local club competition with. Now, forgive me my ignorance, but I am new to the intricasies.... What does "MIM" mean?

Thanks again,

Steve