Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone tried other nut shells besides walnut?

-JQ-

Has anyone tried pecan shells or hickory nut shells?

If not....may I assume because most folks don't have access to them?

I have a source for tons of pecan shells and I'm always on the lookout for ways to recycle...OK recycle someone's junk into my ca$h... :D

Maybe I'll give them a whirl myself.

Has anyone tried pecan shells or hickory nut shells?

If not....may I assume because most folks don't have access to them?

I have a source for tons of pecan shells and I'm always on the lookout for ways to recycle...OK recycle someone's junk into my ca$h... :D

Maybe I'll give them a whirl myself.

Ahh... Hickory nut shells are acidic? and will stain your fingers.. Don't know if it would do the same to your brass...

Let us know how they worked. The pecan shells are soft but the hickory might be closer to the hardness of the walnut. Do you have a way to grind/crush them?

I'll have to ask if they can do hickory. They process pecans and may not...but I'll check. It is amazing how different fresh pecans taste...even between farms. My brother lives in pecan-land.

Merlin - the outer shells for sure, but that is the same for walnuts I think? We always had hickory nuts around...mom still does...to the point she can't walk through half the yard this year. And if they stain no one will snag my brass :-)

I'll give it a shot.

Used to have a local cherry processor that did ground cherry pits. Excellent cleaning media!

Harder than walnut, with almost no dust.

Alas they went out of business. Filbert (hazelnut) processors are common around here

and they sell the shells for landscaping. Hadn't thought about using them for case

cleaning. Maybe I'll pick up some and give it a try.