Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buffer tube length differences?

cheers623

So, I have started shooting local tactical rifle matches recently. I have been shooting my Bushmaster M4 for a while and have it set up and running great. I decided to impulse buy a S&W Tactical in light of recent political events and noticed that even though both rifles are supposedly Mil-spec, and both have 6 position collapsible stocks, the S&W is about an inch shorter fully extended. I looked at the buffer tubes and the S&W is shorter than the Bushmaster. I purchased the S&W as a backup to my Bushmaster and would like them to be identical for the length of pull. I have long arms and notice this small difference alot. I looked all over this sight and found only info on buffer tube diameter but not length differences between collapsible stocks. Does anyone have any info or a link or suggestions? My bushmaster is dead reliable with 1000s of rounds down the tube and I would like to keep it as my SHTF factory configured iron sight gun. The Smith and Wesson tactical is going to be my competition gun. The shorter length of pull on the S&W is an issue though. I do not want to change from a collapsible M4 style stock. I like the simplicity of this style stock and have gotten used to it. I just want them to be the same length when fully extended. Do I need to buy a Bushmaster buffer tube and stock and install it on the S&W? Is there any other option? Sorry for the whinning.....help...

Thanks again,

Chris

Swap your stock from gun to gun and see if the length changes at all.

If they fit each other as far as tube dia. and the length of pull does not change on either weapon. (Smith still short)

Order a Bushmaster buffer tube only and use all other parts you already have.

Mil spec tube O.D. is 1.140in and usually angle cut at butt, Commercial tube is 1.170in and usually longer than mil-spec and square cut at butt.

Mil spec tube+comm stock= way loose stock.

Comm tube + milsec stock= nogo.

Edited by Triggerbender