Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fobus paddle

What sport?

Blade Tech is good IMO. Just make sure you get a legal design for your chosen sport/division.

+1 on the Blade Tech. I just bumped up from the Uncle Mike's to the Blade Tech a few weeks ago for my 1911. Although the Uncle Mike's is functional and so is the Phobus there is a definite difference in quality and price but I personally think it was worth it

Anyone used the fobus holster paddle style with the 1911? If so how has it worked for you.

I started with a Fobus, and still keep a fobus paddle in the back of my vehicle in case I want to carry my truck gun. But you'll find that the kydex holsters are haster. Blade Tech, Comp Tech, COM, et al all have strong advocates. I use a Blade Tech for SS competition.

FWIW, I have a G-Code kydex paddle holster that's great for all day carry, but the thing that makes it comfortable for carry makes it impractical (IMHO) for competition. I much prefer a holster that doesn't cover the thumb safety - I want to have my thumb on the safety as I'm drawing so I don't have to adjust my grip mid-draw.

Anyone used the fobus holster paddle style with the 1911? If so how has it worked for you.

I use the Fobus paddle with my Kimber Gold Match. I like the holster, I think it is pretty quick, I use it when I shoot PPC. What I dislike about it is, when I draw the front sight drags in the holster and plastic shavings sticks to the front sight. It is very distracting when you are trying to shoot. I have an Uncle Mike's in right hand (I'm a lefty) that I use when I teach, I don't have any problem with it. I need to upgrade from the Fobus but I just being cheap at this point.

I have the Fobus on my hip right now and think it is crap and dangerous. It is full of shavings from the XD breaking it in. It is stupid-difficult to get in & out. It sits way to far away from body and is muzzle angled too much toward body. When the gun sticks in the holster and you have to "jerk" it out you can accidently sweep your ass with muzzle. I have seen 2 break in the last few years. I am stuck with it until I can get a Comp-Tac or Blade Tech. This is my humble opinion and said in frustration as I am practicing draws and mag changes with it this second and am frustrated with it ;-)

I have the Fobus on my hip right now and think it is crap and dangerous. It is full of shavings from the XD breaking it in. It is stupid-difficult to get in & out. It sits way to far away from body and is muzzle angled too much toward body. When the gun sticks in the holster and you have to "jerk" it out you can accidently sweep your ass with muzzle. I have seen 2 break in the last few years. I am stuck with it until I can get a Comp-Tac or Blade Tech. This is my humble opinion and said in frustration as I am practicing draws and mag changes with it this second and am frustrated with it ;-)

You have a Fobus for a 1911 and you're putting an XD in it?

I have one for 1911's and it works perfectly with my 1911's.

G

I have a Fobus paddle for my Glock and for the money I think it’s a pretty good product. Certainly more comfortable than the Uncle Mikes holster I had my girlfriend get, which I borrowed once, She likes my Fobus better as well. As for durability my Fobus has been on a lot of quad rides and a few crashes and held up pretty well. For IPSC I think the DOH is considerably better/faster but you pay more for it, and for what it’s worth I just cracked my second DOH holster this year alone. Blade-Tech has been cool about it and said they will replace it free.