Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Night Sights with a Fiber Optic Rod

MichiganShootist

I believe that the only company making these now is called TruGlo .... and I haven't seen them in person... but I sure like the idea.

They are a combo of a FO front sight with a trintium vial to light up the FO in the dark.

It sounds like a great idea ---- especially for old eyes...(if it works).... 'cause I have found night sights to be pretty lousy in the day time and FO sights pretty terrible in the dark..

Has anyone tried these??????

Edited by MichiganShootist

I have the TruGlo tritium fiber optic sights on 2 guns. They're as good as night sights can get in my opinion. They are VERY bright and easy to see. The only draw back is that the front sight is really wide and out past about 25 yards, it's hard (for me) to get a refined sight picture. I use a gun with a skinny fiber optic front sight and a plane black rear when shooting in the daylight but the TFO's are hard to beat after dark.

Edited by HighVelocity

HUGH sights. Dad has them on a Glock 17 and there's no way I could use them. Well.. Maybe if I was old and half blind

Hey Matt.. You know that I'm both old and half blind (with luck I'll get the cataracts resolved next spring) Like my eye Doc. says... "Damn man ... who knows how well you'll be able to shoot it you can see the targets"

....... But please tell me what a HUGH sight is :roflol:

I tried them on a G19. As others have said, the blade is too wide for distance and when you lose the fiber on the front sight (as I did) you will find that there is not enough left to give you any kind of decent sight picture.

Plus, as I have stated elsewhere, night sights just aren't worth the cost. Their usefulness is limited to twilight because after dark you need a light to see the target and that negates the night sights.

Dare to disagree, in a defensive sidearm tritium sights are a huge advantage, I've had some close calls where sourrondigs were somewhat lighted by road lights, but too dark to see sights. I surely would have discerned a bad guy coming but absolutely not my sights.

Home invasion in dark hours are another scenario where tritium sights shine (literally).

great sights not to good for shooting competition, I currently shoot with them for uspsa and I didn't even realize what i was missing until i shot another guys gun with target sight and it is much faster to get a sight picture with different sights. I am changing mine. I would keep them if it was a self defense gun.

I put them on a Glock 21 sf for a duty gun and they are bright in any lighting conditions but I did not care for having three dots- I am used to just a front fiber optic and black rear- so I put a plain black heinie rear sight on and left the truglo front. So far I like the setup better than anything else I have tried for a duty gun so far. I did have to knock a little off the top of the Heinie in my mill to get the zero right but it wasn't much.