Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

newbie issues part II

cripple

So we have everything we need to reload. We have three dies: 1. resizing and decapping, 2. Expanding and 3. Seating. We are having some real issues.

To begin with we cant get the brass into the resizing die whatsoever. No matter what we try it wont go in there, even with one shot. If we skip that step and just expand the neck, when we seat the bullet it just falls down in the brass when you push on the bullet. Its not being seated and the brass is not being crimped.

We need some serious pointers on adjustment I think. Any help is appreciated. We have a Lee turret press and redding dies.

Thanks!

Edited by cripple

Pistol or Rifle? Caliber? If the brass won't go into sizing/decapping die, is it the right die set for caliber? The redding die setup instructions are pretty through if you follow the directions.

its a .40 and its the only dies we have and they are marked S&W .40

Does the case go partially but not all the way in the sizing die? If so, then you may be dealing with "glock bulge". The brass needs to be sized before you can expand/bell the case mouth.

We can get it in just a little, maybe 1/4" - 1/2", and its very hard to remove.

Post the exact markings on the die, and the exact markings on the brass. If you still have the box from the bullets, post anthing printed there as well.

Die - 40S&W-10mm FL05

Brass - Winchester 40 SW

Brass is not new!

Do you have a reloading manual? Most good reloading manuals have detailed instructions on metalic case reloading. I started reloading on my own at the age of 13. I read the instructions that came with the reloading equipment, read the reloading manual, never had any problems.

It's really hard to show someone how over the internet. Do you know any fellow shooters that reload? Invite one over.

Can you measure the brass after resizing? I know you can only get it in part way, but you should be able to measure it and get an idea of the ID of the die.

It is possible the die is marked wrong. Do you have a friend with a 40 die you could try?

I thought the 'glock bulge' didn't prevent resizing, but rather didn't get resized because the die does not go low enough to resize the whole length of the brass. I thought it failed at chamber check, not a resizing.

Does the handle travel smoothly when no case is in the machine?

If the bullet just drops right into the case, you are probably flaring the case WAY too much. You should have just enough flare to be able to set the bullet on the case and not have it topple or fall off.

Is the shell plate correct for 40S&W? What number is stamped on it (we'll also need to know what press)?

If any of the cases you are trying to size somehow went through the case mouth flare die first, even with a slight bell they'll jam up in the sizing die (ask me how I know). If a bulletless case has been flared it needs to run through the crimp die before it will go through the sizing die.

Just some simple suggestions....

Maybe it's a simple case of no lubrication combined with a smallish lead-in mouth. My Redding dies are not carbide and will stick like that if I don't lube every case. Even if they are carbide, you should lube every other case when the dies are new.

My Redding dies also have a small "mouth" on the sizing die. They really don't seem to be designed for a progressive press at all. You can always enlarge the lead-in radius of the mouth of the die to solve that.