Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Melonite....what is it?

Can some of you geniuses help bring me up to date a little?

I was reading up on a gun I am about to get and come across the word "Melonite". (Never heard of it before)

I looked around online for more information about it but couldn't find anything that would relate it to firearms.

Is this finish a plus or minus?

Edited by Heavy Barrel

Melonite is process of surface finishing that results in a very hard, corrosion resistant, nitrogen enriched surface to the steel. Glock's flavor goes under the trade name "Tennifer". As to it's utility - just ask when you've seen a rusted or scratched Glock slide.

It's a compound of nickel ad Tellurium, commonly called Nickel Telluride. In most plating nickel (or Cobalt) is the corrosion inhibitor and something like chrome is used to provide the deep shine. In this case the end result is a black finish the actually penetrates the base metal somewhat (which is why some manufacturers use softer steels if this will be the end finish) and provides a very porous coating that holds oil and lube very well....

Daniel

Chemistry teacher

Edited by DMH

My XD from before Melonite finish (Brunial finish, or something like that) scratches very easily.

My XD with Melonite treatment is very hard to scratch and is a very big improvement on the old one. April 06, I think, is when they stopped making the old finish.