Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 Bullseye Load

tkill12

I am new to reloading. Bought my Dillon 550 about a week ago from this site. :)

I have Bullseye powder and both 200 and 185 gr LSWC bullets (Bushwacker bullets). I am wondering what is a reasonable load for putting holes in paper? I shoot NRA Action Pistol at my local club once a month. I see a lot of people online loading super light loads for conventional pistol competion - like less than 4.0 gr of bullseye. I was thinking of a 4.6 gr load, which is acceptable for both bullets according to my reloading manual. Is this a good load for shooting lots of practice? Or should I back off on the bullseye a little bit?

Edited by tkill12

Your reloading manual ought to have a that load in it for you. Which manual(s) do your have.

I have the Speer reloading manual, as recommended in the EZ-buy Dillon 550 package on this site. It does list 4.6 as an acceptable load. I'm wondering if this is considered a hot load for shooting a lot of practice sessions. Most topics I read on this and other forums suggest much lower loads than my manual shows as acceptable. The manual is at home, but I believe the lightest load it recommends is 4.4 gr. I see people talk about loading as low as 3.0 grains.

"The load" for bullseye shooting is 200 gr LSWC over 3.5 gr of Bullseye powder for 25yds.

and 3.8 gr of Bullseye powder for 50yds.

I have Bullseye powder and both 200 and 185 gr LSWC bullets (Bushwacker bullets). I am wondering what is a reasonable load for putting holes in paper? I shoot NRA Action Pistol at my local club once a month. I see a lot of people online loading super light loads for conventional pistol competion - like less than 4.0 gr of bullseye. I was thinking of a 4.6 gr load, which is acceptable for both bullets according to my reloading manual. Is this a good load for shooting lots of practice? Or should I back off on the bullseye a little bit?

I don't have a chronograph, and I know the answer to this depends on a lot of other factors, but approximately what velocity would a 200 gr LSWC/3.8 gr of bullseye out of a 5 inch 1911 barrell be?

For an accurate light load I use 3.8 gr. HS-700X and Rem 1.5 behind the 185 gr. Star LSWCHP at ca 710 fps (you may require a lighter recoil spring). This is a very accurate load which I have tested out to 25 yards and it's easy on the wrist.

From my understanding the PF for NRA Action pistol is 165. Though I've never seen anyone at my local matches tested. That was the whole premise of my question... I calculated that I needed at least 4.6 g to make 165, but I was reading everywhere that other guys use loads in the 3.8 range. I'm glad to hear someone else loads the hotter loads.

From my understanding the PF for NRA Action pistol is 165. Though I've never seen anyone at my local matches tested. That was the whole premise of my question... I calculated that I needed at least 4.6 g to make 165, but I was reading everywhere that other guys use loads in the 3.8 range. I'm glad to hear someone else loads the hotter loads.

I loaded some 155g lswc the other day at 5.1g. lets just say they were crisp. I have seen some guys load some bullseye loads down around 2.8 to 3 grains before. they almost didn't make it out the barrel.

The only PF requirement for NRA Action Pistol is 120,000 or as some express 120PF. There is no major, just the floor PF of 120. A 185 gr bullet only needs 649 fps to exceed this floor.

The 3.5 & 3.8 gr of BE powder should easily meet this from a 5" semi as the 3.5 should be somewhere around 700 and the 3.8 should be in the mid to high 700 range & possibly touch 800 fps.

BE, Clays, W231, WST and a few other powders should work quite well for these soft 120-130PF loads. If you have scope mounted to the slide, you no doubt will have to reduce recoil spring poundage or the gun will likely not cycle with these light .45acp loads. FYI factory 185gr WC loads typically run mid 700 to 800.

MJ

• 3 weeks later...

I run 5.8 gr of Bullseye out of my 5 inc 1911 and that is steel 2 grs less then max out of Lyman's 48th edition. That is with 200 gr swc cast my pf is 202.1 and that is how i got the name iron hands the only thing stock is the bearil dont load to the max you might not like the recoil. i have not had eney lock with the 185 gr bilt some to try they did not want to chamber ,os i got rid of them.start with low end and work your way to the load you like and your gun liks.

I've got some reloads w/ 200 gr LSWC and Bullseye, but they are loaded for Major PF.

4.7 gr Bullseye

Win LP primer

200 gr LSWC (H&G 68 clones)

mixed brass

Mean velocity: 863 fps

StdDev: 11 fps

That was the lightest I went since I was trying to stay above 165 PF (after I subtracted two StdDev's)

I know some guys that shoot Silhouette, and they are using 3.8 to 4.0 grs of Bullseye. Not sure what they chrono'd at, but they are nice soft rounds compared to mine!