Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I didn't let the trigger reset

No.343

I got my 625 about a month ago and I'm enjoying it very much, but I am extremely ignorant about it. I try to do a little dry firing with it when I can. Lately I am not letting the trigger go forward to full reset when I try to shoot a little faster. When I pull the trigger again it makes a low "thud" like sound. Am I damaging something when this happens?

If you are "Short Stroking", the cylinder may be between notches when you pull the trigger again. The "thud" may be the cylinder stop hitting the cylinder notch while you're trying to pull the cylinder past that point if the hand picked up the next tooth on the ratchet.

So, arguably, it may not be any worse than a normal stop at high speed, but as a guy that has ruined a couple of stainless cylinders by peening the heck out of the notches, the "thud" is not a good thing. Very high speed shooting is hard on revolvers, and while it's cool to do the speed drills like Jerry, the price is battered stops and notches.

Your time on a stage will never be significantly effected by your splits, all the times you need to improve are everywhen else (reloads, movements, target indexing, etc). So consider practicing an even cadence for your shots realizing that .15 splits are only useful on Bill-Drills at three yards and that we don't get very many of those. :)

Please, no short jokes. I'm not sure what to think of that answer. Don't get me wrong I know you always give me the best advice you have to offer, it's just that we always try to go faster. Do you recommend not trying to shoot fast while dry firing because of possible problems? I guess that the speed won't be a problem during a match. You've seen me shoot and know how slow I am, but this brings up another dumb question. What happens during live fire if I don't pet the trigger reset properly? Does it skip a live round?

Yes, the cylinder advances but the hammer doesn't "cock" and fall. Gives you a 5 shooter and really screws your plan. When you practice you need to concentrate on bringing your finger forward off the trigger and not expecting the trigger to push it forward. The tendency is to hold the trigger back using your trigger finger help the others hold the gun while it recoils, and then to let the trigger push your finger forward. Both need to be unlearned.

Please, no short jokes. I'm not sure what to think of that answer. Don't get me wrong I know you always give me the best advice you have to offer, it's just that we always try to go faster. Do you recommend not trying to shoot fast while dry firing because of possible problems? I guess that the speed won't be a problem during a match. You've seen me shoot and know how slow I am, but this brings up another dumb question. What happens during live fire if I don't pet the trigger reset properly? Does it skip a live round?

Generally if you don't let the trigger reset (short stroke) you will skip a live round when you finally do get off the trigger and pull again. Then you've got to stand there and dry fire "A's" until the live round comes back up.

I don't think that fast dry firing translates well into match performance and it is definately harder on the gun. 41 mag posted some actual stage footage with some very good shooters including Jerry. Watch the pacing and listen to timing of the shots. It's nothing like the double-taps the semi auto guys run and there's no point in trying to get a revolver to run at the same speed. There's too much that has to happen between trigger reset and hammer fall for that to be practical.

There's two cents and we can make change on Saturday. :cheers:

I don't think that fast dry firing translates well into match performance and it is definately harder on the gun.

I agree wholeheartedly with Brother Walter.

Most deifintely, but it's more fun than watching TV!

Some reasons you're "Short Stroking" could be:

1) The Action is unbalanced, meaning the Return Spring is too light for the Mainspring.

2) Your Cylinder Stop/Trigger Nose contact has a rough spot and it isn't allowing the last little motion to work smoothly.

3) Your shooting too much with a 1911 trigger.

4) Your just plain pushing too hard.

Solutions:

1 & 2) With a good Action you can't feel any particular spot of the stroke, it's just smooth. Smooth up the Action, it can be done yourself very easily as long as you're not expecting an ultra light stroke. 7#'s is just fine and will not cause you to lose a match.

3) Some are bothered by switching back and forth, some aren't. Try focusing on the Revo for a while and see if it helps.

4) Hmmm, the worst possible problem. You can only solve it by using Live Ammo and PRACTICING :cheers: ! Seriously but it has to be good, solid and serious practice.

Welcome

I got my 625 about a month ago and I'm enjoying it very much, but I am extremely ignorant about it. I try to do a little dry firing with it when I can. Lately I am not letting the trigger go forward to full reset when I try to shoot a little faster. When I pull the trigger again it makes a low "thud" like sound. Am I damaging something when this happens?

Looks like you an I have much to learn from Mitty and the round gunners!!!!!!As far as the SHORT STROKING goes I think the 5 shot skip got ya at the ICOR match

Edited by curly

Looks like you an I have much to learn from Mitty and the round gunners!!!!!!As far as the SHORT STROKING goes I think the 5 shot skip got ya at the ICOR match

It sure feels like the first match all over again.