Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 627 Trigger Reset Problem

MI_Packer

I have a 627-5 (8 shot .357 Mag) non-PC model.

During the very first box of ammo through it (.357 mag) I had noticed a problem with the trigger resetting, it didn't. Knowing I was going to tear into it and install the JM spring kit and tune it up just like my 625, I didn't return it to S&W. I figured the tune up would resolve the issue, it didn't.

I did some searches here and read how the gun can heat up and the change of clearances would cause it to jam. When it cooled off all would be normal. I think this could be a lead because I can't cause the problem when dry firing.

Before I get the torch out to warm up the cylinder and barrel I decided to simulate binding of the cylinder. I pushed forward on it and dry fired, nothing. Pushed backward and nothing. Applied Counter Clock Wise force, nothing. But when I applied Clock Wise force (barrel pointing away from me) the trigger failed to reset, when I wiggled the cylinder the trigger reset. This has been my remedial action during a COF.

This gun has FO sights, extended firing pin, TK custom cut cylinder (original cylinder was cut) and the JM spring kit. If I do need to send it back to S&W must I restore it to original condition? I would much rather learn by solving the problem here.

Edited by MI_Packer

MI What is meant by CCW and CW force? the only thing that I know that Wiggleing the cylinder will do ( that may apply to trigger reset) is that it will move the cylinder stop or the hand rachet connection. Sorry not more helpful.. later rdd

The hand may be getting pinched in between the ratchet and frame. Check to see if the cylinder

locks up real tight with the trigger all the way back. Check to see if the cyl. goes slightly CW when the

trigger is released. IF this is the problem, it can be corrected by filing or stoning a thou or 2 off the

top of the hand where it pushes on the ratchet. There are other things that could cause the trigger

not to reset, it can be hard to see the real problem from this far away.

You may have a very small burr on the end of your hand. I have seen it once.

This will drag on the rachet and prevent the trigger from resetting. Take the cylinder and side plate off and check

Trigger return function.

...What is meant by CCW and CW force...

I edited my post, TLA's were unnecessary. CCW Counter Clock Wise, CW Clock Wise.

Well, ordinarily a trigger reset problem is caused by a sear that is slightly too long. If this is the problem, a very small amount of material taken off the sear nose will correct the problem. To diagnose it, remove the sideplate and carefully cycle the action, and watch to see if the sear is hanging up. You can correct this problem with a stone or even a folded piece of wet/dry paper--try to maintain all the same angles.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the tips. I went through each one and work the wheelie over as suggested. Not having the patience for scientific method I just did them all.

Today I ran the El Prez and scored the best 72 hits on three targets. Got the gun good and warmed up and it ran just fine. I'm leaning toward the hand and rachet work. In any case, it was just a couple of strokes with a stone, then a buffing wheel.