Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So what if I.....

Brewski

Chamfer a recessed cylinder with a 45 degree cutter? I picked up a 19-3 cheap that has a cylinder with pretty extensive rust pitting from improper storage (I’m guessing) but is mechanically in excellent shape. I’m thinking it would make a good game gun if I can get a decent chamfer on it. Anybody ever tried this? I’m thinking I could make a big honkin’ funnel by cutting through the recess an into the charge hole – sort of a super chamfer. What do you folks think?

Be very careful. The .357 Magnum won't take a huge amount of chamfering and still do well with Hunting Loads.

I did a M28 a little too aggressively and it leaves a swelled area that makes Glock Brass look svelte! Haven't blown a case yet, but after a moderate to heavy reload the case is totally worthless. It works ok for light Special loads but not Major PF or above.

Be very careful. The .357 Magnum won't take a huge amount of chamfering and still do well with Hunting Loads.

I did a M28 a little too aggressively and it leaves a swelled area that makes Glock Brass look svelte! Haven't blown a case yet, but after a moderate to heavy reload the case is totally worthless. It works ok for light Special loads but not Major PF or above.

Thanks for the warning. I went carefully and the job turned out great. I realize that P&R pureist will be horrified :angry2: , but this seems actually faster on the reload than a chamfered non-recessed. Now I need to hunt up a .312 smooth trigger.

Pinnacle's website warns against cutting for moonclips + Heavy competition chamfer and not actually using the clips. They say you'll get misfires, but I thought this was maybe a bit of CYA on their part although I could see this happening.

Quoting;

"On competition guns where there is a larger and deeper chamfer there is always the possibility of a light hit due to the case, head spacing off of the area that has been chamfered. I highly recommend using the moonclips during competition shooting"

http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/revolver.asp

Tks Mark keep up the good work!