Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sandbagging a classifier?

Bigpops

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extremeshot wrote: (my comments in red

This has been proposed a million times. Oh, yeah, where exactly? Just here on the forums? This forum is a small sampling of USPSA in generalThe results of doing this is that the membership will decline and the same guys will get all the prizes and recognition Major match attendance may decline. Methinks attendance at the local club level will remain the same. I haven't heard of attendance at the Big Dawgs Steel Match and/or the Piru, California Steel Challenge World Shoot match declining. Both are shot head's up within a division. Besides, technically, USPSA membership is NOT required at just the local club level as it stands now.. The classification system is one of the main reasons why USPSA is one of the most popular shooting sports.You and I have hashed this out a million and one times in person over the classification system. My opinion still stands that it's basically a per capita tax system. Your annual USPSA membership dues may be just 35 dollars, but if you shoot just one local match a month, Sedro just made another 24 dollars off you. Therefore your annual fee was technically $59 a year. And don't get me started on the whole token economy thing either. :rolleyes: Whoever dreamt up this classifier system and the two bucks the local clubs have to submit per classifier score was a pure marketing/business genius :cheers:

Darren

My opinion still stands that it's basically a per capita tax system.

A tax huh? Not a fee for service? Who do you think should purchase/maintain their servers, pay their ISP, maintain their software, perform the updates, print the classification cards, pay postage on the classification cards, answer the phone dozens of times per week when people call asking about wrong entries, etc?? Really? You're uptight about $2 per classifier? I guess I know one alternative to paying the dues and the classification fee.....

pure marketing/business genius

Do you REALLY think they are making that much money off the whole membership and classification fees?

From the uspsa.org homepage: USPSA is a non-profit membership association.

-rvb

eta: sorry, bigpops for contributing to drifting the topic.

Edited by rvb

Get rid of the classification system and Sedro won't need that 2 dollars per classifier score, the servers, the programmers, data entry people, etc. The MD's and the stat's people won't have to be bothered or hassled with/by getting classifiers in on time. Us shooters won't have to get frustrated :angry2: when a club say like 3 hours away doesn't input a really good classifier score for 6 months or more.

Just charge a flat annual membership fee.

I will be back in a minute with some numbers.

Edited by Chills1994

continuing the thread drift....

Just doing the math from the one local club I shoot USPSA matches at, we have had 8 matches so far this year. We have 3 more to go before the end of the year. Counting just the first shoot throughs (i.e. NO reshoots), if it is just 2 bucks per classifier per USPSA member, this club has paid Sedro $494. With 3 matches left, that number could easily go to $644.

From USPSA's website, there are 400 affiliated clubs.

$644

_____

$ 257, 600

A quarter million dollars. That's nothing to sneeze at.

(yes, that's ASSuming all clubs get about the same attendance as this club. Yeah, I know that, already.)

That's not including the 2 or 3 other "local" club matches I (can?) shoot per month. I'm sure plenty of our more vocal BE'ers here shoot more than just one club match a month, also.

And as far as the non-profit status, well... I have probably already stuck my foot far enough into my mouth for one night already.

I suppose if I did enough poking and proding around on the internet (probably a Fed site like the IRS) some sort of return or balance sheet could be found for USPSA.

That is if it's not already printed in the Front Sight magazine. :unsure:

(sigh)