Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Letting Go

Overhung

I got a little tired of shooting this past year- since making the change from IDPA to USPSA, I noticed that my abilities had plateaued, and the general cost of matches was a bit restrictive. Plus, weekends are spoken for in a post Katrina, Gustav, Ike environment. About a month ago, I went to the range and fell inlove with it all over again- just a little steel match that they throw down in Thibideaux every weekend. I was awful. Trigger freeze, misses, the shakes, not topping off mags at the end of each string. Over the past month, I have shot about 1500 rounds. In matches and in practice sessions, I feel the skills improving.

Last week, the steel match came up again. I still doubted my draw- had some negative thoughts in my mind- so I have practiced that since-but shot well. I started to pick up speed and get misses- which was okay- since I was trying something new. On one string, I fumbled the draw- normally about 1.5- 1.75 but I knew it was about a 2.5 draw- did not unlock the trigger guard that I habitually engaged. Got the gun out an shot in 3.38. It was an easy array, but I felt myself shoot faster. You can say smoother, whatever, but the gun an my eyes were in synch. It was noticed by my squad the fumbled draw and the blaze after that.

I know that if I don't break through this barrier, I will plateau again. I was an upper level EX in IDPA, and my standards were good enough to get me into a solid B rating, but my match performance is a mid to low C. I know where my weaknesses are in the field courses, but when did you upper level shooters ever break with those noises in your head that told you to slow down, lay up, use two seven irons instead of the 3-wood- if you get the drift.

I know that if I keep this practice pace up, I will get to A- which reading how much you guys practice to get to MA is probably all that the other influences in my life will let me get. Practice will get those negative thoughts outside my head. I am struggling with letting the gun drive, rather that point-aim-really aim-really aim again, then fire. I find I lose time trying to speed up this sequence rather than seeing enough.

Dan- Back in Love with Shooting

Edited by Overhung

Just Letting Go

When can I stop oversteering

When you stop trying and judging (self-talk), and start trusting yourself.

The practice can build up this trust. But, what practice really provides is opportunities to truly experience what is going on. You might stumble on the "experience" by accident. If you can observe your own actions with detached awareness, then you can really shorten your learning time.

I was driving down a windy country road the other day, reliving the match I'd just shot and the high points, when a car came up behind me very aggressively.

Being the boy, I couldn't let this pass, dropped a gear or two and enjoyed one of those, safe but fun, road duels that occur from time to time.

I knew my car was better suited to this road than his, but he stuck behind me with dogged determination.

After a while I realised I was more focussed on my mirror and him than I was on driving, gear changes were concidered, not spontaneous and the driving woefully thoughtful.

I changed my focus, meditating on the white line in the centre of the road, relaxed my shoulders and just drove. The corners became smooth and controlled, the gear changes effortless.

I looked in the mirror several miles further on to see him way back several hundred meters and well beaten

I was driving down a windy country road the other day, reliving the match I'd just shot and the high points, when a car came up behind me very aggressively.

Being the boy, I couldn't let this pass, dropped a gear or two and enjoyed one of those, safe but fun, road duels that occur from time to time.

I knew my car was better suited to this road than his, but he stuck behind me with dogged determination.

After a while I realised I was more focussed on my mirror and him than I was on driving, gear changes were concidered, not spontaneous and the driving woefully thoughtful.

I changed my focus, meditating on the white line in the centre of the road, relaxed my shoulders and just drove. The corners became smooth and controlled, the gear changes effortless.

I looked in the mirror several miles further on to see him way back several hundred meters and well beaten

Nice! Reading that gave me the chills.

Thanks,

be