Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load Testing Questions for EAA Witness Limited

CHA-LEE

I am totally new to reloading so I got a load recipe from Henning for my EAA Witness Limited. I am trying to get a load ready for the Desert Classic Area 2 match in Arizona next month. Using Hennings recommendation for OAL, powder, bullet and case I made up some different loads and did some chrono testing last night. Shown below are the results of the different loads. Ok, now onto the questions.......

(1) How much of an average PF buffer above 165 should I use to be on the safe side when going to the match?

(2) Should I use the minimum PF instead of the average PF as the low water mark for a particular load?

(3) During my testing the Humidity was low (25%) and I suspect that Arizona will be about the same. Should I consider the possible humidity difference between Colorado and Arizona a non factor since they are pretty close?

(4) Will the Altitude difference between Colorado and Arizona affect the PF?

(5) I tested these loads at 60 deg temp. Should I retest the same loads with artificially preheating the rounds to 80 - 90 deg to emulate hot weather conditions at the match?

EAA_Load_Testing_10_16_08.jpg

I would say anything from load 7 through 9 would be fine as far a PF. I don't know about humidity and altitude but temperature is definitely a factor and different powders react differently to temperature changes. I think you need to check with people who load clays to major PF. I believe I have heard that it does not vary a great deal with temperature change.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am going to use the 4.5gr load for now. I have been thinking about trying the 165gr and 200gr bullets to see how the recoil feels on those rounds but I don't want to reinvent the wheel as I am sure there are a lot of very experienced shooters here that have already tried them and end up back at the 180gr bullets. What I think I will do is just stick with this load for the next 10,000 rounds and focus more on my shooting technique as I know that needs way more work than what load I am shooting.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am going to use the 4.5gr load for now. I have been thinking about trying the 165gr and 200gr bullets to see how the recoil feels on those rounds but I don't want to reinvent the wheel as I am sure there are a lot of very experienced shooters here that have already tried them and end up back at the 180gr bullets. What I think I will do is just stick with this load for the next 10,000 rounds and focus more on my shooting technique as I know that needs way more work than what load I am shooting.

I like the zero 200 gr bullet. Start with about 3.8 Clays and work your way up. I would not go above 4.1-4.2. Same OAL as w/ the 180 load.

I have not tried any 165's, I'm into heavy metal.

Jeff686> I have e-mailed you the spreadsheet.

dirty whiteboy> Thanks for the information. I might just pick up some Zero 200gr bullets and give that load a try. I have 4000 of the Zero 180gr bullets so those will last a little while.