Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

eye movement - 2 shots per target

sherpa

Normally in competition, paper targets require 2 shots. For type 3/4/5 shots, a simplified sequence would be to "locate the center of the A in a target, focus on the front sight (w/ target on peripheral view), then press the trigger".

So after pressing the trigger for the 1st shot, do you focus back/re-locate the center of the A before going back to the sights again to fire the 2nd shot, OR do you just stay on the sights assuming the gun is still centered on the A, then fire the 2nd shot? My observation is that at slow speed shooting, I could manage to just keep my focus on the sights and fire the 2nd shot since I have time to see the target in the peripheral view behind the front sights. However w/ higher speed shooting & focus on the front sights, its like I only see the whole brown target at the periphery before firing the 2nd shot, so I'm more on assuming the sights are still aligned w/ where I aligned them before the 1st shot.

What do you guys do, and what are your observations? I think this may be more applicable to the faster Types 3 and 4, but nonetheless may still apply in some cases to type 5. Thanks.

When I see what I need to see for the first shot I become "less" sight focused for the second shot...on close targets. "Close" varies from shooter to shooter. :) My second shot at distant targets include some additional dwell time on the sights.

Jim

Normally in competition, paper targets require 2 shots. For type 3/4/5 shots, a simplified sequence would be to "locate the center of the A in a target, focus on the front sight (w/ target on peripheral view), then press the trigger".

So after pressing the trigger for the 1st shot, do you focus back/re-locate the center of the A before going back to the sights again to fire the 2nd shot, OR do you just stay on the sights assuming the gun is still centered on the A, then fire the 2nd shot? However w/ higher speed shooting & focus on the front sights, its like I only see the whole brown target at the periphery before firing the 2nd shot, so I'm more on assuming the sights are still aligned w/ where I aligned them before the 1st shot.

Yes, you definitely want to keep your focus right on the front sight between the first and second shots, regardless of the difficulty of the shot. There is no need to expend any mental or visual energy on keeping the gun pointed at the target for the second shot. It will stay there naturally on its own, as the result of your will to shoot the target again, where you shot it the first time.

Somewhere I posted a "transition drill" that would help on this topic. I looked around for it but couldn't find it. But I know it's here somewhere because members continue to ask for "part 2" of it. So if anyone knows where that thread is, please post it here.

be

Yes, you definitely want to keep your focus right on the front sight between the first and second shots, regardless of the difficulty of the shot. There is no need to expend any mental or visual energy on keeping the gun pointed at the target for the second shot. It will stay there naturally on its own, as the result of your will to shoot the target again, where you shot it the first time.

Little off topic...

I noticed that especially happens when I'm really solid behind the gun. The weaker my stance (heavy leaning for example), the less the gun tends to stay on track and the more I need to drive the gun into the target with the position of my arms. Strong hand only or Weak hand only is another fitting example for me.

So after pressing the trigger for the 1st shot, do you focus back/re-locate the center of the A before going back to the sights again to fire the 2nd shot, OR do you just stay on the sights assuming the gun is still centered on the A, then fire the 2nd shot? However w/ higher speed shooting & focus on the front sights, its like I only see the whole brown target at the periphery before firing the 2nd shot, so I'm more on assuming the sights are still aligned w/ where I aligned them before the 1st shot.

Somewhere I posted a "transition drill" that would help on this topic. I looked around for it but couldn't find it. But I know it's here somewhere because members continue to ask for "part 2" of it. So if anyone knows where that thread is, please post it here.

be

Is this the one you are refering to?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...=39178&st=0

Thanks a lot! That confirms what I'm also doing (i.e. keeping my focus on the front sights for both the 1st and 2nd shot). I just wanted to see if the gun may be drifting slightly away from the "center A", causing some "C's" on 2nd shots. I think I'll have to take a look again too at my programmed acceptable sight pictures. :)