Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I got lucky!

ken hebert

backstory: short and sweet, I repo cars with a friend of mine who's father owns large used car lot, been at it since we were 19. (34 now)

Usually we are given 6 to 8 files at a time to try for, might get 3 on a good day/night. Sometimes it's a total bust. Today was a first for both of us. Got 6 files turned over to us this weekend, went after them starting this morning starting at 10am. Had all 6 by 3pm, luckily enough, and for another first 3 were at the same location and same owner. No fussing, no fighting, no trouble at all. Just 6 up and 6 down. Never before and probably never again will we be this lucky. Now I think it time to go get a lottery ticket, don't ya think?

backstory: short and sweet, I repo cars with a friend of mine who's father owns large used car lot, been at it since we were 19. (34 now)

Usually we are given 6 to 8 files at a time to try for, might get 3 on a good day/night. Sometimes it's a total bust. Today was a first for both of us. Got 6 files turned over to us this weekend, went after them starting this morning starting at 10am. Had all 6 by 3pm, luckily enough, and for another first 3 were at the same location and same owner. No fussing, no fighting, no trouble at all. Just 6 up and 6 down. Never before and probably never again will we be this lucky. Now I think it time to go get a lottery ticket, don't ya think?

At least a cold one!!

I put my way through college "popping" cars in the East Chicago and Gary Indiana gettos during the rein of the Black Panthers.

Man.... when I think back to what I did ... and where I did it .....for $100 a week and 8 cents a mile ...it scares me to death. I had to work solo about 90% of the time I'd have to drop off my car and take a cab to where the "target" was located. In that scenario if you couldn't get it started etc. It was a long and dangerous walk home.... since this was 25 years before a cell phones were available.

I once repoed a car with a 6' 8" dude sleeping in the back seat.... THAT WILL GET YOUR ATTENTION!!!!!!! (Note to self... if the dome light doesn't work... check the back seat with your flashlight for potential passengers)

I never got 6 but I did manage 4 all by myself out of one parking lot.... The problem was it was a getto church lot on Christmas eve. My boss WAS NOT happy.

Congats on grabbing a 6 pack of rides.

Edited by MichiganShootist

Cold Coke. Not a drinker anymore...

Doing that job will make you go one way or the other. The stories people that do this can tell. I worked my way through college repoing furniture for one company and cars for another, I was always in the same places so I killed two birds with one stone. :cheers:

I had a "dude" who had a car loan and a furniture loan with my office.

He always made the car payments on time but was often months behind on the furniture payment.

One day I asked him why this was the case... and the answer I got was a beauty.

He said " Well I'm not a very smart guy... but I do know that if I've got to... I can sleep in my car.... but I sure can't drive my furniture to work".

It's difficult to find fault in that logic.

We should right a book on what we've seen and heard :)

Edited by MichiganShootist

Sounds like a kick in the pants.

...until the repossessee comes after you with a gun or a baseball bat....... :ph34r::surprise:

Seen both. Last was a double barrel 12 ga. I'm still around. The guys here that have answered will tell you, you keep your eyes on a swivel and at least for me I try and stay in what I guess I call a "relaxed condition orange" Aware of where you are and what can happen. Sort of like after LAMR and before "stand by".

Be out on the prowl again tomorrow night...

I enjoyed myself way too much when I did that kind of work. My first boss had to remind me not to act so happy. I was out once and had been trying to catch this one couple at home to get the furniture back. I got a call from a neighbor of theirs that they had just backed a Uhaul up to the house and looked like they were moving. I headed right over and had to repo a house full of stuff, dinning room set, bedroom set etc. I had to get it in one trip and only had a short bed F150 to do it with. I looked like the Beverly Hillbillys on the way back to the store. Man I'm glad I switched lines of work most days.