Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3gun or multi gun?

One thing to consider is that under the current USPSA rules, if you run a traditional "3-Gun", that is, one gun per stage, then you are actually running a tournament. Not so if you do it as a multigun--then it's only a match. Semantics, I know, but the scoring is dramatically different for a 3-Gun tournament.

That said, I like the "multigun". We (USPSA) need to adapt a different scoring system for it, and train people in it's use. We also need to take some advice and learn from other successful matches. I don't like the term "outlaw"--what are they outlawed from? USPSA doesn't own exclusive rights to shooting sports, so other people can run matches the way they want. If they refer to our safety rules, well, good for them, because I think we have some good basic safety rules in place. The rules about switching guns, and what condition they are in could stand to be re-examined, IMO, but our basic safety rules are sound.

I don't think USPSA should abandon long gun shooting at all. There are plenty of "practical" uses for a rifle or shotgun, and we should continue to promote them. We just need to do a (way) better job at organizing and operating the matches.

Troy

That pretty well echos my thoughts. USPSA national multi-gun is going to get fixed because we own it and we have told the BOD we are not pleased. Good or bad USPSA multi-gun is always here. Are they still having the SOF match? I believe we are going to see a radically improved MULTI-gun match in 2009. Afterall, every business/organization has it ups and downs if it is around as long as USPSA has been.

After talking to my Area director this weekend, getting an email from Mike V., reading Troy's comment, and Chis's post here I believe we are on the right track this time.

Edited by ap3

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer that most stages be one gun oriented with a few multigun stages to spice things up. Too much multigun slows the match down plus it increases the chances for DQs.

I'm with Kelly here. Not every stage needs to be 2 or all 3 guns.

The ONE time we did a multi gun stage after our usuall 5 stages of handgun was a nightmare. Safety concerns (clearing guns) took forever. We were tearing down well after dark.

This was only 1 stage of 8 hangun-6 shotgun & 24 rifle rounds. If you had 3-4 multi gun stages and 30-40 people, it would take a loooong time.

We had 23 people at our last multi-gun match and we only ran two squads, so we probably could have done at least twice as many without causing delays because of stages backing up.

The match was around 300 rounds and we had two rifle-only stages (18 and 8 rounds), one stage with two guns and four stages with three guns, for a total of seven stages in six bays.

On top of that we ran San Angelo scoring and we still were able to be done at a reasonable time.

IMHO, proper planning, experienced staff and well-designed stages are the most important things you need to be able to fix what's (not really) broken in USPSA multigun...