Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Trick" basepads....

Rocket35

This is what I have come up with. I needed to make some modifications to the basepad's size and shape to accomodate.

First I compared the two sizes of basepads available from Wilson Combat to see what I could get away with. The 47BN measures .350". A bit too short for the Techwell magwell. The 47BEN measures .625" and is a bit too long. The one in the middle is a 47BEN I modified to fit. Basically I hand ground the basepad on course grit sand paper until I got the dimensions I needed. Then used a fine grit to smooth it out. A belt sander would have made this much faster and easier! This was the results of the modification to the size and shape. I only took minimal material off the rear of the basepads, since that area was not the issue. It was the front portion.

post-5009-1223174258_thumb.jpgpost-5009-1223174271_thumb.jpg

Then I decided to stipple the bottom surface for better grip. This actually makes quite a bit of difference in positively seating the magazine. I used a regular wood burning iron with the tip sharpened to a point. It doesn't take long, and you just need to apply a little pressure for just a half second or so for each stipple. I also believed it necessary to take a bit off the length of the magwell. This ensures enough magazine sticks out to seat positively. Gives it a nice two-toned effect too! B) The Techwell is the largest and easiest to install. The SVI took far more modification to fit. And Brownells carries the Techwell now. Which is really nice if you have a dealer discount. ;)

post-5009-1223174492_thumb.jpgpost-5009-1223174501_thumb.jpg

Is that the largest magwell Techwell makes? Does the gun with magwell fit the box with the slight modifications?

Yeah that is the XT model. And it will fit the box without the modifications, it is the basepads that you have to worry about. With the magwell shorter you have more of the base pad sticking out to seat the mags reliably. There is another size techwell that is smaller that would save the time of grinding it down, but I didn't like the contour of the smaller one's "well" as much.

Is that the largest magwell Techwell makes? Does the gun with magwell fit the box with the slight modifications?

Yeah that is the XT model. And it will fit the box without the modifications, it is the basepads that you have to worry about. With the magwell shorter you have more of the base pad sticking out to seat the mags reliably. There is another size techwell that is smaller that would save the time of grinding it down, but I didn't like the contour of the smaller one's "well" as much.

I ended up grinding my techwell XT down quite a bit. I had trouble seating mags because the mag's base pad would sit in the "cup" of my palm and I would hit the techwell with my thumb pad. The base pads where as long as possible to fit in the box with the techwell, but Couldn't seat them unless my palm was perfectly flat.

The easiest way I've found of trimming the Techwell is to use the 6" disc sander on the side of my vertical belt sander. It keeps the bottom level and you can do a little bit, try it, do a little more etc until you have it just right. Afterwards I take a dremel with one of the polishing wheels (sort of like a Cratex..sp?) and round the edges so it's not sharp. I'm not sure what grit disc is on mine, but it leaves a pretty smooth surface when done...then I polish it a little bit afterwards just for grins.

• 1 month later...
Ok, so can the frame, leagally, be ground or blended more to the magwell if nessesary ?

Would that be an allowed modification if you were to flare out the frame ??

You know, that's a good question. I'd think it would be okay since they don't have nearly the same restrictions in SS as they do Production and you are allowed to add a magwell in the first place. So, whether it's flaring the frame, adding a new part etc, as long as it fits the box, I'd think it would be allowed. All I did with mine was just bevel the very bottom of the frame where it meets the Techwell so it's a nice, smooth transition and left it at that...as long as there isn't an edge there, it'll work great. Even when you don't hit it perfectly, the Techwell will save all but the worst fumbles from what I've experienced.

• 1 year later...