Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Cover Procedurals

coframer

"When I make cover calls, that's what I do (as SO). If your cross my imaginary line, they it's a cover violation. It allows me to be consistent, and timely with a "cover" call (which helps all but the speediest shooter)."

+1, Great advice to new SO's.

Take Care

Bob

UPDATE: so i call the kid up to wish him a happy B'day..and he tells me his girlfriend bought him airline tickets to come down and shoot the Ms state match with me this weekend....GAWD..i've created a monster...this will be his 2nd idpa match of any kind in 2 months..hopefully we will have a couple hrs friday night to work on the cover calls and do some drills beofre saturday morning.....even if he quits shooting today..he needs to keep the girlfriend... :cheers:

To learn to use cover better. Set up some COFs in your backyard and run the courses with out a gun, just use your index finger and thumb as your gun like you did in kindergarten then have a buddy be the bad guys and let him shoot back at you with a paint ball gun from 10 feet away. You will learn to use cover better quickly :P It works!

To learn to use cover better. Set up some COFs in your backyard and run the courses with out a gun, just use your index finger and thumb as your gun like you did in kindergarten then have a buddy be the bad guys and let him shoot back at you with a paint ball gun from 10 feet away. You will learn to use cover better quickly :P It works!

Excellent idea, because paint balls hurt, even from 30 or 40 feet. Using cover as in an IDPA match, you would get very badly shot up with this learning method.

I expect most here are wanting to learn how to use cover the least. That is, just enough not to be called for cover. If the desire was to learn how to use cover better, that is pretty easy. All you need is a barricade and a mirror as the bad guy. But your suggestion definitely leaves a more lasting impression. Little red welts.

kr