Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dog folk: Newfs/Landseer--Any experience?

They love people and love to visit. Some bloodlines slobber some don't (check on that) Being a big dog they are prone to hip problems. Never let a child ride them, use a harnes and a cart, they are a working dog breed. Everyone is their friend especially their owner. If you take them with you to the beach don't expect to stay in the water long, they will pull you out(inborn knowledge) And if you live near water don't ever expect to have dry dogs. And by all means love them back. Full blood black all over with a white patch on the chest no white anywhere else. Webbed feet. Majestic as the run, at a distance they look like a small black bear and they are the only dog indigines to north america. Is that what you had in mind ?

Back about 15 years ago I was out one evening on a small lake in N. Idaho fly fishing from my float tube. This was a "no motors" lake but had a small boat launch and dock for folks to launch small row boats etc. I watched as an attractive young lady in a Honda civic hatchback pulled up and opened the hatch. I was rather shocked to see and ENORMOUS Newfie come boiling out of the back of that car. He took off down the dock, launched himself off the end and made an enormous splash upon entry.

Apparently he had spotted me out in the water and all those instincts said to help me. Thankfully I knew of their reputation for "helping" people in the water.

After convincing him he didn't need to get into the float tube with me but could just pull me to shore I had a nice "drag" to shore. I think we could have towed at least one skier.

The young lass was appropriately apologetic and I returned to the lake with her name and number. Oddly, there was no "Jennifer" at the number she gave me nor a "big black dog". Hmmm.... ;)

• 8 months later...

CONGRATULATIONS on the new baby! You've captured the Newf in its natural state ... wet! Make sure s/he has a job as s/he grows up, it'll make both of you happier.

Wishing you a L-O-N-G life together. Plan on Newf fur becoming a decor item in your home and an occasional source of fiber in your chow ... and enjoy every minute of your life together.

CONGRATULATIONS on the new baby! You've captured the Newf in its natural state ... wet! Make sure s/he has a job as s/he grows up, it'll make both of you happier.

Wishing you a L-O-N-G life together. Plan on Newf fur becoming a decor item in your home and an occasional source of fiber in your chow ... and enjoy every minute of your life together.

That is indeed the plan. We're going to start training him to earn his WD title and who knows, maybe he'll end up as a VN. ( The equiv. of a GM in shooting!) :cheers::cheers::cheers: