Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627-5 bullets/sizing

Tom E

I've got a 627 on the way so I'm going to have to load 38s. What bullets/bullet diameters/weights work well in the stock barrel? It's pretty much just going to be used for steel so we're talking about 125 pf bunny fart loads. A search didn't get much but I may not have used the right words.

If I use 38 special cases, which brand brass fits Ranch's moon clips best? Reloads really aren't an issue but you never know. I'm starting from scratch for 38.

I guess I've had the best luck with .358s in Smiths,and .357s in Colts.For Steel I have been using a Bear Creek 125gr round/flat nose bullet over about 3.5 grs of Clays.For everything else I use whatever 158 RNL and WST powder.Those Billy Bullets should work real well for you.When I had a 627 and Ranch moonclips,it seemed like Winchester brass fit the best,everything else seemed kind of loose.-Mike

I cast my own bullets. For all of my 38/357's Smith and Ruger I size my bullets .358.

For both steel and ICORE I use a Lyman 125gr round nose mold.

I cast them from straight WW and lube the with White Label Lube.

I get no leading at all.

Tom, slug your bore and see what it is. If you have a bore around .3565 you should see around 2-3inch groups at 25yds with .355 bullets (147 type). 115s and 124s will be worse due to Less bearing surface. If your bore is .357 or more, I would go the .357-358 route and see what works best for you.

The best powders for this experiment with be, in order, VV 310, CLAYS, Solo 1000, Nitro 100.

Good luck in your quest!

DougC

Tom, slug your bore and see what it is. If you have a bore around .3565 you should see around 2-3inch groups at 25yds with .355 bullets (147 type). 115s and 124s will be worse due to Less bearing surface. If your bore is .357 or more, I would go the .357-358 route and see what works best for you.

DougC

Is there that much variance in bore dia in the 627-5's? QC is that bad?

After the 38 supers came out......... :rolleyes: we started slugging the barrels and found out that they are just what they are....some good, and some that shouldnt have made it out of the factory....just like any other manufacturer.....the older guns are pretty tight.....just better to know what you have.....and go from there instead of fighting it .......my .02$ from having been there and done that....

DougC

Tom E, a 3.3 to 3.7 grains of Solo gave me from 785 to 840 fps with a 160 grain Billy Bullet. The stock barrels will shoot the lighter bullets (130 to 147) well. I just liked the 160 lead as I was using a 1 in 10 inch twixt rate. the 1 in 10 was popular in the sillohoute (sp) ranks for the longer distance shots with the 160 grain bullet. Good Luck YMMV rdd