Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which finish for a new Limited Custom?

rrpalma

I have the opportunity to order a new Limited Custom in 38 Super. In this country, it is available from the factory in 2 finishes: traditional hard chrome and a Black finish that I believe is a polymer coating. Which is a better finish? All my other Tanfoglios have the hard chrome finish, and it seems quite durable.

Thanks for your comments.

I have the opportunity to order a new Limited Custom in 38 Super. In this country, it is available from the factory in 2 finishes: traditional hard chrome and a Black finish that I believe is a polymer coating. Which is a better finish? All my other Tanfoglios have the hard chrome finish, and it seems quite durable.

I really like the hard chrome myself. I have a limited in each and prefer the hard chrome.

You'll be happier with the chrome.

Thanks everyone for all your input. So, I assume both are exactly the same pistol, save for the finish?

BTW, I thought the black Limited were not available yet in North America.

They are the same gun, yes. As to the availability; I don't know about the U.S., but they are available in Canada.

They are the same gun, yes. As to the availability; I don't know about the U.S., but they are available in Canada.

Just visited the dealer. The Limited Custom is actually available in hard chrome, but the black finish is available on the pistol with the lightened slide, the same that you can see on the Tanfolglio site, described as the Limited Custom. So in essence, there's 2 models of the Limited Custom: the normal one, in hard chrome, and the Limited Custom Model 2007, in black with the lightened slide. Any suggestions on which would be a better choice for IPSC and IDPA?

Just visited the dealer. The Limited Custom is actually available in hard chrome, but the black finish is available on the pistol with the lightened slide, the same that you can see on the Tanfolglio site, described as the Limited Custom. So in essence, there's 2 models of the Limited Custom: the normal one, in hard chrome, and the Limited Custom Model 2007, in black with the lightened slide. Any suggestions on which would be a better choice for IPSC and IDPA?

Limited Custom = chrome finish

Limited Custom II = black polymer finish.

The Limited Custom typically comes with checkered wooden grips and no slide cuts (although I think I heard that the slide cuts may be soon a stock feature), and the Limited Custom II comes with aluminum grips and slide cuts. Otherwise they are exactly the same guns. I had one of each, and with the loads I was using tended to prefer the plain Jane Limited Custom without the slide cuts. It flipped a little more but felt softer in recoil, which tended to affect my tendinitis a little less. Playing with load recipes would have probably resolved that issue, but I didn't care to change anything as I was already used to shooting the Limited Custom.

Limited Custom = chrome finish

Limited Custom II = black polymer finish.

The Limited Custom typically comes with checkered wooden grips and no slide cuts (although I think I heard that the slide cuts may be soon a stock feature), and the Limited Custom II comes with aluminum grips and slide cuts. Otherwise they are exactly the same guns. I had one of each, and with the loads I was using tended to prefer the plain Jane Limited Custom without the slide cuts. It flipped a little more but felt softer in recoil, which tended to affect my tendinitis a little less. Playing with load recipes would have probably resolved that issue, but I didn't care to change anything as I was already used to shooting the Limited Custom.

Thanks a lot for the thorough explanation.

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a couple more questions:

1) Would it be possible to have a chrome finish Limited Custom WITH slide cuts? I know, from dealers in AU and NZ, that you can have a black LC with no slide cuts.

2) Is chrome finish = hard chrome?

3) How durable is the polymer finish? Does it go on top of the hard chrome? I was under the assumption that hard chrome was probably the most durable finish...

4) VERY basic question: From your answer, I would assume that the slide cuts provide for less muzzle flip, but more perceived recoil?

Thanks again for your time.

Thanks a lot for the thorough explanation.

No problem-o. Glad to help.

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a couple more questions:

1) Would it be possible to have a chrome finish Limited Custom WITH slide cuts? I know, from dealers in AU and NZ, that you can have a black LC with no slide cuts.

Well as I say; I pretty sure I heard that they will be offering the standard finish gun with the slide cuts. I'm not 100% sure, but it would make sense since they could standardize their slides that way. I haven't seen a black one without the slide cuts, and the Tanfoglio web site doesn't show them either. Maybe it's a specific market thing...? I dunno.

2) Is chrome finish = hard chrome?

No. More like a chrome-alloy stainless. You can always get it hard chromed if you wish, but I like the fact that if you ever scratch the gun up or otherwise ding the finish you can buff it out and it's back to like-new condition.

3) How durable is the polymer finish? Does it go on top of the hard chrome? I was under the assumption that hard chrome was probably the most durable finish...

True hard chrome is very durable, but think stainless and you have a better idea. The polymer finish will wear more quickly, as it is not as hard. if you want the most durable finish, buy the standard finish and shoot it for a while to break it in, then get it hard chromed.

4) VERY basic question: From your answer, I would assume that the slide cuts provide for less muzzle flip, but more perceived recoil?

I want to say yest but I'm not sure that would be totally accurate. I think the recoil energy imparted into the gun is the same but due to the slide being lighter, it is just compressed into a shorter duration so it "feels" more sudden...if that makes any sense. Honestly, I don't think there is a competitive advantage to the extra slide speed, as the stock slide is already pretty light and quick-cycling. More is not always better when it comes to removing metal, and if you buy one without the slide cuts you can always get them machined in later if you feel you really need or want them, even if it's just for cool points. That way you can try it and see what you like best. That is on a Standard/Limited gun mind you. On an Open gun the slide cuts are and advantage.

Thanks again for your time.

From the poly coat I've seen it looks like it's flaking off. At least that was the case of several guns I saw at the Europeans last year. If it was a standard blue I would have gone for that over chrome, but between poly-coat and chrome I'd pick chrome. I had all my guns re-done in IonBond. Some of which also have shown to wear. Supposedly IonBond is the shit, but the quality has been varying of what I've seen and heard of others who had theirs done this year. If they can deliver the correct Ionbond finish that last it would be my #1 choice.

• 2 weeks later...