Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

notasccrmom

notasccrmom

First off, thanks a bunch for the pointers. Here's some of that from my perspective.

Stage 1 is the stage that I won. It was the first stage that I shot that morning and had a good clear head, so I just did it. Not much else to it really.

Stage 2: I also noticed my slow exit out of that first position. I'm not sure why I didn't leave harder than that, I really should have. Looking back, you're right about that last position. I should have reloaded and shot it carefully and clean. I guess I was being overly cautious.

Stage 3 had some pretty long shots on some small poppers and plates. I just plain messed those up, although not as bad as could have happened. It could have been worse with a standing reload or something.

Stage 4: I shot the targets through the door from right to left.

Stage 5: Interesting story... during my final walkthrough as I was on-deck, I tripped on a poorly secured fault line that was sticking up. It caught my shoe and I went down face first. Luckily I caught myself without injury and my gun stayed in the holster. Needless to say that tripped me up mentally and I didn't get a good last mental program for the stage. I can assure you that I had a plan, pretty close to what you described, but I was nowhere close to executing it. I missed my reload points and everything, it was bad as you can see.

The way they do it at that club is they do a group (every shooter) "walkthrough" of all the stages immediately after the shooters meeting at the beginning of the match. They don't do written stage briefings so they rely on that to get everyone on the same page for start positions and all that. It's worthless as far as getting a good look at the stage is concerned, so the only real time to get a good plan together is in the 5 minutes before shooting the stage or show up early enough to walk them all. 5 minutes is usually enough for me.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job, that was a tough match for iron sights in a couple of places. This match is intense for a local, but that is why I over look the no written stage briefing part and just go shoot. This is the type of match that if you shoot it on a regular basis it will make you a better shooter and major matches will not get in your head, because you have shot a variety of props before.

edited to add, I shot this match with a great squad of people that I had not had the chance to shoot with in a long time.

Edited by Fireant

I don't mind not having written stage briefings so much when the stages are straightforward, but there have been some times where they would be really nice to have so you aren't relying on memory for the whole match. Every now and then the squad that I'm with will get to a stage and not remember if it was that stage or the next that started in the surrender position, and other similar issues.

The stages are generally pretty good, but sometimes simpler is better. I could also do without the group walkthrough, it only seems to waste time. I think a very short and generic WSB left at each stage that just shows the start position and any special instructions would easily accomplish the same task and get everyone to the shooting sooner. That's how every other club that I've shot at has done it. No need to parade the entire match around.

ETA: If any of the regular match staff is reading this, I mean this all as constructive criticism. I'm not complaining.

Edited by notasccrmom

First off, thanks a bunch for the pointers. Here's some of that from my perspective.

Stage 1 is the stage that I won. It was the first stage that I shot that morning and had a good clear head, so I just did it. Not much else to it really.

I think you have said a mouthful here and this is the stage you want to focus on. Remember the good learn from the bad and then forget it.

Stage 2: I also noticed my slow exit out of that first position. I'm not sure why I didn't leave harder than that, I really should have. Looking back, you're right about that last position. I should have reloaded and shot it carefully and clean. I guess I was being overly cautious. Production and L10 there is a fine line between shooting aggressive and being too reckless and slowing way down and being too cautious.

Stage 3 had some pretty long shots on some small poppers and plates. I just plain messed those up, although not as bad as could have happened. It could have been worse with a standing reload or something.

Stage 4: I shot the targets through the door from right to left.

Stage 5: Interesting story... during my final walkthrough as I was on-deck, I tripped on a poorly secured fault line that was sticking up. It caught my shoe and I went down face first. Luckily I caught myself without injury and my gun stayed in the holster. Needless to say that tripped me up mentally and I didn't get a good last mental program for the stage. I can assure you that I had a plan, pretty close to what you described, but I was nowhere close to executing it. I missed my reload points and everything, it was bad as you can see.

The way they do it at that club is they do a group (every shooter) "walkthrough" of all the stages immediately after the shooters meeting at the beginning of the match. They don't do written stage briefings so they rely on that to get everyone on the same page for start positions and all that. It's worthless as far as getting a good look at the stage is concerned, so the only real time to get a good plan together is in the 5 minutes before shooting the stage or show up early enough to walk them all. 5 minutes is usually enough for me.

Seems like some written stage briefings would help make the match more consistent for all the shooters. It looked like a nice tough, complicated match. My hat is off to the set up and design crew.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a video from this past weekend:

As usual, comments and criticism is welcome.

Something else new and cool and completely unrelated to the above, here's a teaser/promo video that was put together for the SHOT Show. Link

Stage 1:

0:12 You have to shoot the third target while backing up more aggressively. It would be better to do it on the first two if they remain visible, but I am not sure they do. But the third one for sure because you can see it all the way back.

):18 This position was a stop and a start and a waste of time. Either go to the port and shoot it, which would allow no standing reload. Or shoot the first two on the left as getting to the port, then through the port, then reload and finish.

If there were only a total of five targets on the left why not just reload after the port and shoot them on the move from the closer position than shoot at part of them from farther away.

Stage 2:

Hard to tell what this stage looks like other than tough for Production because there is not much room for reloads. But in general it looked choppy from start until the last magazine. Remember what ole Don Hardy said in Mississippi get to the first position and then make the stage flow from there.

0:34 I suspect you are tracking from target to target with your eyes on the sights rather than snapping your eyes to the target and bringing the gun to your eyes.

0:54 a good smooth finish to a choppy stage.

Stage 3:

1:08 you are good enough to shoot the first three targets while backing up. Start moving on the buzzer while loading. Backing out is the easiest place to shoot on the move. Just practice it in dry fire a little bit. It is a very handy skill to have.

1:17 You hit the right spot to tranistion right to the next array. good job. the gun screwed you though.

1:30 Leave this position more aggressively, shooting looked good here, but get the hell out of there.

Stage 4:

Looked pretty good.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Don't worry Coach, I'm still shooting. I've just been slow to get the videos up.

Here's one from a couple of weeks ago:

I've got two more videos coming, last weeks match and the Sunshine State Games match back in May.