Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Emptying RL550B?

adouglas

I've just bought an RL550B. Initially I'll be loading only one caliber (9mm) and using my Lee single-stage for the other caliber I shoot (45 ACP).

Eventually I'll get the caliber conversion kit and so forth to load both out of the Dillon.

Question: Assume I don't want to buy an entire new powder measure assembly, but want to use different powders for the two calibers.

Is there a simple, elegant way to empty the Dillon powder assembly? Is there a simple, elegant way to empty the primer system?

Short of just running them dry, I mean.

Hi,

For the powder measure system, unless I'm missing something, the easiest way to empty it is to take the whole tool head out of the press and pour out the old powder from the hopper. I use a RCBS funnel and pour the powder back into the can it came from. Give the hopper a few shakes and tilt it back and forth a bit to get out the bits that can get stuck behind the baffle. Then put the tool head back in and run the powder station of the press a few times to make sure everything is out.

For the primers - that's harder. You could take off the whole tube assembly, but that's a pain. I just lower the arm of the press and then cycle the primer system by hand to get them out one by one. Make sure you're wearing safety goggles when you're doing that. You should be wearing safety goggles any time you're reloading, but make double sure when you're dealing with primers.

When you are actuating the powder measure removed from the toolhead/powder die, it is possible to drop out the white plastic 13845 collar sleeve, particularly on the older style powder system. I've retrieved mine from more than one can of powder until I started making my makeshift paper funnels with a smaller hole.

I'm one of those cheap people who doesn't buy a new powder measure for each caliber either. For the primers, it is easy, I never leave primers in the press. I do all my loading in 100 round increments and I always stop on a empty primer feeder.

The powder you can empty as described, remove the tool head with the powder measure on it, and tip the whole thing. If you do that make sure all the powder is out by activating the powder bar a few times, and tip the measure a few times to make sure you have no powder caught in the baffle.

However, most of the time I don't empty the powder measure at all. I use the same powder for all the pistol calibers and once you get used to it, you can swap the measure without emptying it. Basically, disconnect the safety rod from the shell plate, loosen up the bolts holding the measure on the die, remove the pins holding the tool head, remove your measure from die with you right hand and hold it, remove tool head from press and replace with new tool head with your left hand, place measure on the tool head, reassemble.

It should be said that one time I managed to dump a whole powder measure worth of powder in my lap and sat there for a while thinking about the next step. Funny in retrospect. Not then.

Edited by Vlad

I'm one of those cheap people who doesn't buy a new powder measure for each caliber either. For the primers, it is easy, I never leave primers in the press. I do all my loading in 100 round increments and I always stop on a empty primer feeder.

The powder you can empty as described, remove the tool head with the powder measure on it, and tip the whole thing. If you do that make sure all the powder is out by activating the powder bar a few times, and tip the measure a few times to make sure you have no powder caught in the baffle.

However, most of the time I don't empty the powder measure at all. I use the same powder for all the pistol calibers and once you get used to it, you can swap the measure without emptying it. Basically, disconnect the safety rod from the shell plate, loosen up the bolts holding the measure on the die, remove the pins holding the tool head, remove your measure from die with you right hand and hold it, remove tool head from press and replace with new tool head with your left hand, place measure on the tool head, reassemble.

It should be said that one time I managed to dump a whole powder measure worth of powder in my lap and sat there for a while thinking about the next step. Funny in retrospect. Not then.

Since ytour new with the 550b. when i bought mine i bought the 55ob video at a gun show for $5.00. That literally shows you every step including changing primers, dies, etc. Well worth the money.