Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target talk.

CAB33

I plan on spending my next practice working on this target at 15 yards and seeing what I learn.

I did the same thing about 6 months ago with a zebra target at 10 yards and it was a great practice.

It would be great to hear some people's thoughts about what they learn from this target and what they do to

improve on it.

May i make a suggestion; Instead of hardcover,use a no-shoot instead. There's no penalty for dropping a shot into hard-cover (assuming a make-up shot) but putting a shot into a no-shoot will cost you. If you can shoot it confidently with a no-shoot then hard-cover becomes a no-brainer.

Out of curiosity, what do people use as their point of aim on this target?

Do you go for the upper A/B?

Do you go for the lower A?

Do you aim for the middle and give up some points?

Does it depend on the distance to the target and/or how easy it is to set up on or leave it?

For me, under 10 yds, I tend to go for the lower A, but, then, I'm a plodder, and perhaps should give up some points for time.

I don't want to derail the thread...not suggesting a different target. I just happen to have a graphic to post on where I like to aim. (Which works, when I really do it.)

post-690-1221843054_thumb.jpg

post-690-1221843013_thumb.jpg

The red square is a representation on what I want to shoot for. It is about a 4x4 inch area. It is 16 square inches, versus the approximately 66 square inches of the entire lower A-zone.

Benefits, as I see them:

- Most hardcover and no-shoot placement will tend to leave this area available. So, you can most always aim for the same spot on the target...no matter what the presentation.

- Aim small, hit small.

- Consistent and clear intent on where to drive the gun too.

- probably some more stuff, but the phone was ringing...

- probably some more stuff, but the phone was ringing...

To add a bit...

Many will shoot a shot that is away from where that don't want to hit. That places their mind on the negative.

If you find your shots drifting away from hardcover or no-shoots, ask yourself why.

Compare that with focusing only on the positive. Pick the spot your want to hit. Decide to hit it.

OK...enough keyboard from me. Do CAB's exercise !!

Before I started shooting open I had problems with my shots drifting away from HC/NS's. The ammo I used would wander 4 inches either way from POA so I guess I just took precautions to avoid the misses and NS's, when it actually just did the same thing on the other side of the target.

Now, shooting open, with a better gun and better ammo, I KNOW where the bullet goes, and it makes an incredible difference in confidence approaching this type of targets.