Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tracking the sights... Eye movement?

Cavediver

I'm having a bit of trouble tracking my front sight. I can see it jump out of the notch and it seems to return pretty well, but I cannot follow it through the entire cycle.

Am I supposed to be moving my eye and keeping the front sight in sharp focus the entire time, or should I just relax and see the sight in my peripheral vision, maintaining focus on where the sight was / will be?

A bit of background if it helps:

I've been shooting for about a year and a half. Several months ago I joined a range and shoot at lunch at least once a week, sometimes more. I've shot a couple of competitions over the last year, and recently decided to get a little more serious about it. I'm keeping it at the hobby / pure entertainment level for now, but I'd like to elevate it a bit over the next year.

I can shoot "reasonable" groups at 15 yards, and probably 85% A shots at 25 yards, slowish fire (snails pace for ya'll :) ). Now that I've settled down and started focusing, my groups are seeing slow but regular improvement.

There are a bazillion threads on this subject. A search will give you hours of reading.

Here is one thread to get you started.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50852

It is a great question. Learning to better use your eyes, will help tremendously.

Dang if that one's not word for word <_<

Thanks for the link wide45. I've been reading on this topic for days and never saw this one. I need to hone my search skills a little bit.

Thanks!

Get a .22LR semi auto pistol, and practice with it a lot on steel plates at range........this assumes of course you have such facilities reasonably near by.

.22LR is CHEAP.....I pound out like 400-600 rounds each session - cost? $12.

Steel gives you that immediate sound feedback regarding hit or miss ( but dont wait to hear it before next shot or moving to next plate!) , and doesnt "beat you up" (as in developing a flinch) the same way 400 rounds of major or minor ipsc ammo would.

Start slow and place 100% attention and focus on that front sight. The .22 front sight is easier to track than the higher calibers since recoil is much less - hence a great place to start.

BB