Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canon 5D Mark II

The highly anticipated successor to the 5D has been officially released. It's been a hot topic in discussion boards but a lot of Canon fanatics were a bit disappointed on the lack of features they were hoping for. With new 21.1MP Full Frame CMOS sensor, new DIGIC 4 image prosessor, with ISO expandable to 25600 and a little slow 3.9 fps continuous. It just might be my new toy if the price is right. What do you photo nuts think :rolleyes:

Hey, Nikon! AF in movie mode! :lol: Plus integrated wireless in one of the battery grips... 21MP, full frame, blah blah blah. $2700 MSRP - which means a streat price around $2k, probably, one the rush quits? This might be my new 2nd cam (or possibly 1st cam for everything but action) once I'm in a position to buy...

Too bad it uses a new battery, though - I have a crap load of batteries for my 30D...

pretty neat....has audio jack inputs too..so you can use wireless mikes.. kind of like the D90 which is only a $1000 camera.but a better movie mode..and better inputs.

but beware..no environmental seals...so Tulsa is out :roflol:

Edited by eerw

whooopss..

read this review DP Review

Canon's press material for the EOS 5D states that it 'defines (a) new D-SLR category', while we're not typically too concerned with marketing talk this particular statement is clearly pretty accurate. The EOS 5D is unlike any previous digital SLR in that it combines a full-frame (35 mm sized) high resolution sensor (12.8 megapixels) with a relatively compact body (slightly larger than the EOS 20D, although in your hand it feels noticeably 'chunkier'). The EOS 5D is aimed to slot in between the EOS 20D and the EOS-1D professional digital SLR's, an important difference when compared to the latter is that the EOS 5D doesn't have any environmental seals. While Canon don't specifically refer to the EOS 5D as a 'professional' digital SLR it will have obvious appeal to professionals who want a high quality digital SLR in a body lighter than the EOS-1D. It will also no doubt appeal to current EOS 20D owners (although lets hope they've not bought too many EF-S lenses...)

The EOS 5D is aimed to slot in between the EOS 20D and the EOS-1D professional digital SLR's, an important difference when compared to the latter is that the EOS 5D doesn't have any environmental seals.

Yeah, 5D != 5DMkII ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another - with some explanation at the front on how the samples were filmed, and why the relatively boring subjects filmed were used... http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/5...I-preview.shtml

Awesome looking stuff.... I'd previously missed the fact that its 1080p w/ H.264... Beats the pants off Nikon's vid quality... I don't imagine that lead will be super long lived, but... Good stuff, right there :)

its pretty impressive..

interesting to see the move to combine good video and good still image in the same platform..

makes the job a little easier...

slight drift..

any decent quality video cameras that write to CF cards??

thanks for any info

its pretty impressive..

interesting to see the move to combine good video and good still image in the same platform..

makes the job a little easier...

slight drift..

any decent quality video cameras that write to CF cards??

thanks for any info

Well, how decent? There's this new Red One camera that can save on 8 and 16 GB CF cards. New 4K technology and apparently will be coming out with a new DSLR that supposedly will blow out the competition. One thing though...pricey!

Edited by norbs007