Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are mounts made for single stage reloading presses?

Truegent2004

I have a Square Deal B for loading 40 cal and I use one of their strong mounts since my bench in the basement is a "gorilla" brand and not exactly fixed to anything.

I be interested in getting a single stage press for reloading one rifle caliber but I notice they seem to have to be mounted to the edge of the bench.

Do any single stage makers have a "strong mount" like Dillon has for their progressive reloaders?

Other than the edge is a problem since the mechanism is designed to work below and under the edge. If you put one on top of the bench it would have to be pretty high.

I use two presses side by side on a T shaped platform made from 2 inch Oak. One is a Lyman 6 hole rotary the other a single stage Lyman Spartan. Presses are bolted to the top of the T. The whole rig sits on my woodworkers bench and is clampd to the bench in a large screw woodworkers vice. It's is a big strong leg vice and the flat base bears on the bench top. Rig is real solid and is removed in short order. Stows underneath the bench when not in use. It's the best portable solution I have found.

If you don't have a strong vice and solid bench the same thing can be done by mounting the press on a wide piece of good plywood and C clamping the base to your bench when using it. I used to use a rig like that with a light Lee single stage press when traveling to matches. Set up on Hotel bathroom counters or any bench the range happend to have.

Boats

Edited by Boats

If the mounting flange on the frame of your single stage is narrow enough, you could probably

attach it to another Square Deal strongmount by drilling new mounting holes in the top plate.

If bench space is limited, you can purchase just the top plate from the SD Strongmount, attach

the single stage to that, and simply exchange machines on the strongmount you already have. :ph34r: