Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead 200 gr SWC for .45 auto

JKSNIPER

I whipped up a .40 lead load with N320 that was like a good burnout at the track... the smoke was so bad I couldn't handle it. The Clays load with 200gr in .45 is the bomb.

Edited by Sethmark

I love em. My Springfield eats them like candy and NEVER jams. Best part is that you can score a 25 yard target from where you LAMR!!! Nice big clean holes.

I've shot just under 10k of them this year.

Same here both my Springfields eat em up. Rainer (plated) is a different story in the swc's Edited by wisconsin

NOw we've fired about 1,000 rounds through the Kimber and no malfunctions at all.

I think the previous ones were from the weapon needing to break in and getting the right amount of lube with slide glide before it would function correctly.

We went to the range and fired about 250 rounds of reloads using 200 SWC Lead from a company called "Proofmark" loaded with 4.0-4.3 Clays W/CCI primers. Mixed brass.

Weapon functioned fine, accuracy was also good to go.

My son did not clean it I guess he was expecting the 1911 fairy to come along and do it. So L.I.Championship match came along on Sunday and the weapon was DIRTY.

I told him to get ready for a day of clearing jams/stoppages.

I could not have been more wrong.

The Kimber ate those 200grLSWC rounds and fired all the stages without a hiccup.

He had to leave prior to the last couple stages because he had to work 3-11 tour but he was doing ok.

If he would listen to his Dad he would have done better. :D

There was one stage where a target was only visible through one particular port.

We were doing the walk through and I pointed it out to him and said "this will be your long shot through here."

I got the "Yeah, yeah, yeah" attitude.

So he went to fire the stage and of course did not do the long shot and come scoring time he got the 2 mikes plus the procedural for FTE.

He was pissed at himself because he had looked at the stage and THOUGHT that the target he was looking at was the one I was talking about not realizing there was another one near it not visible from where he was standing.

He assumed so he fudged up.

But the weapon and the loads worked flawlessly until we had to leave.

HSMITH I stumbled onto this secret all right.

It works good.

If you're having trouble with your seating dies IMHO just put a factory round in there and lower the seating die/rod until it contacts the top of the factory round and then lock it down and leave it alone.

Worked like a charm for me.

JK

I put about 15k of LSWCs through my Wilson singlestack without a single malf. OAL was the classic 1.250". Charge weight was 4.7-gr. of Titegroup that gave me right at a 170 pf. One thing I have noticed playing around with commerical lead bullets is that most of them are fairly soft, and can give you heavy barrel leading. In short order I settled on Laser-Cast bullets because they're harder than the hinges of Hell. I one time - just to see if I could do it - put almost 5,000 rounds of Laser-Cast 200-gr. LSWCs through my gun, without cleaning and without malfunctions, and when I finally broke down and cleaned the gun, not only was there no barrel leading, the bore was so clean it looked polished.

back in the 80s,before the rebirth of the .38 Super, the H&G 68 200 gr SWC was THE bullet for IPSC. Loaded over a charge of 5.7g of WW231 it would make major all day long. Very accurate also. It was the pick for NRA Bullseye shooters too but with a teenie charge of Bullseye powder, not 231. I think IIRC the load was 2.7 of Bullseye.

Any of you guys using UNIQUE powder for your .45 loads?

A friend recommended it as he said it fills the case more that Clays does and has a greater range of measure ment between minimum and maximum charge.

He said the smoke/leading was not a problem for him even using cast bullets.

Any thoughts on this?

JK

Unique....um....Hell no.......for what we do.... :roflol: It is a good all around powder, but Clays or 320 or Titegroup for what we do. Unique will give more smoke, and more recoil for the PF you are looking for..... In my humble opinon having tried it years before.....LOL

Good luck,

DougC

Edited by DougCarden

• 4 weeks later...
My Dan wesson absolutely hated them at all different lengths. Don't feel bad, I bought 1k rounds to experiment with and ended up selling them to another fellow shooter.

My Dan Wesson PTE-S loved them, they are all I use.