Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need some help with ammo or equipment

vrmn1

I know you are supposed to see the sights press the trigger and let the force be with you and call my shots. However. :-)

With 22 and smaller plates I am going back and making up shots that I hit the first time because I can't hear the bullet strike.

And with 22's sometimes there is not much of a spot for the bullet strike.

And sometimes even with my 38 special revolver loads with lead bullets there is not much.

My load is the same load as my ICORE load a 125gr lead roundnose bullet at 1025fps.

I am thinking maybe I should work up a steel load with this bullet at about 850 to 900.

Something where the sound of the shot don't drowned out the report of the bullet strike.

I am also thinking about electronic earmuffs.

Today with my 22 about half way through the match I stopped using anything.

My ears are about shot anyway which doesn't help

It was also suggested going to a jacketed bullet for matches. They do seem to have a different sound than lead. They seem to have a sharp crack where as lead bullets seem to have a soft thud.

Any suggestions or feed back about these idea?

Tony:

While you need to TRUST your ability to "Call The Shot", and NOT rely on the SOUND--and I believe you can ALREADY do that--I think that a pair of GOOD Electronic Muffs are a GREAT investment for "Steel Shooting"...FWIW, Ethel doesn't hear very well--She wears a Hearing Aid in EACH ear--but she can hear the Steel being "Rung" with a set of "Pro Ears"...If you like, I can "Loan" you a set of medium-priced E-Muffs to try--NOT the "Pro Ears", as we only have ONE set of them, and they are NOT mine!!!...oh, yeah...BTW, I use a 130-gr. FMJ in my .38 Special "Steel Loads"...it's a lil' CLEANER-shooting, and I THINK I hear 'em better, too...'course, that might just be "In My Head"... :rolleyes: ...HTH....mikey357

P.S.--the .22's ARE harder to HEAR...I tend to take my earplugs OUT and just go with the E-Muffs when shooting the .22 on "Steel", as opposed to "Double-Plugging", which I do most of the time...FWIW

Edited by mikey357

It is just I have this tendancy to even though i call the shot good if i don't hear it go back and make it up.

I cannot tell you ho wmanyt times I did that yesterday.

They started fussing at me jokingly about shooting the stop plate more than once then they had to back up the timer. But I did it on several other plates and went back and made up shots I had already hit.

Tony

Quit crying about a 69. I wish I could get below 75 consistently.

My best times have come from shooting and accepting the sight picture as what I hit, not waiting for the sound to confirm what I already "knew".

You coming for the ICORE match in a couple of weeks?

Paul

Tony

Quit crying about a 69. I wish I could get below 75 consistently.

My best times have come from shooting and accepting the sight picture as what I hit, not waiting for the sound to confirm what I already "knew".

You coming for the ICORE match in a couple of weeks?

Paul

Yeah but did you see where I feel off 14 seconds with my revolver?

I crashed Accelerator so badly with my revo.

Due in part to what I am talking abou there.

On my first run I hit the satnd on the stop plate. I couldn't hear anything, I saw the plate move so I didn't shoot it again. I reloaded and reholstered and the RO ask me if I was going to shoot the stop plate. At this point it was to late to make it up so I took 30 seconds on that one.

Then my next run, on the small plates I called both shots as hits and the said I missed both of them.

So I had to take 2 misses with the 30 second on the first run.

Cost me the match right there.

Last month I shot an 88 this time I dropped back to 102