Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo wont fit case gauge

sperman

I just started loading a new batch of bullets from a different manufacturer. Now about 90% of my ammo doesn't fit in the case guage. The bullets are the same style I've been loading (200 Gr SWC in .45), but it is from a different company. The cases look like they are bulged right below the bullet. Is this a bullet problem or a press problem? I tried adjusting my crimping die in either direction, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

TIA

Just a guess, but mic the bullet diameter to see if it's .001 bigger than your old bullets. When I switched to lean in .40 the bullets were actually .402".

I'd check to see how they do in the barrel.

They mic .453, and the few I checked fit in the barrel.

Four words LEE FACTORY CRIMP DIE it sizes and crimps

Does Lee make one that will fit a Dillon Square Deal?

The SDB is Dillon Dies only. An SDB is a great reloader and will meet most basic reloading needs. When you start adding things like glock buldged brass and other variables, then a 550 or 650 Dillon is the way to go.

You can find a lot of information here about the LEE Factory Crimp die and the LEE U-die. Many of us use them as the dies really cure a lot of brass/bullet configuration problems and the dies are excellent quality and fairly inexpensive.

Four words LEE FACTORY CRIMP DIE it sizes and crimps

Does Lee make one that will fit a Dillon Square Deal?

As far as I know, no, but I may be wrong on this one. The Square Deals are kinda the red headed step children as far as presses go. I'd give EGW a call at 215-538-1012. Good luck

Just a guess, but mic the bullet diameter to see if it's .001 bigger than your old bullets. When I switched to lean in .40 the bullets were actually .402".

The bullets are oversize. You have limited options for dealing with that on the Square Deal press.

Take them to the range and try them. If they run 100%, you are good to go.

The easiest fix, is to go back to your old bullet supplier.

The bullets are oversize. You have limited options for dealing with that on the Square Deal press.

Take them to the range and try them. If they run 100%, you are good to go.

The easiest fix, is to go back to your old bullet supplier.

I ran a couple of hundred through at the range today without any problems BUT I'm heading to my first two big matches, and all I have are these bullets (still have about 1700.) The gun show is in town next weekend. I'm hoping someone will be there and I can gut some good bullets before the state match the week after. If so I will reserve these for practice rounds.

Thanks for your help.